I Think I've Finally Heard The Last From Her...

Decorating By mommachris Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm by cownsj

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 14

I posted about two years ago when a woman from the hospital that my daughter volunteered at began calling me to make cake truffles for her.
The year before that she'd bought some at the annual bake sale and loved them.
I didn't mind making them at cost since I was just learning how to dip chocolates and was frankly flattered by her praise.
Well, my husband told me to raise my prices because the woman was running though about four dozen every two months. We think she was trading them for hair cuts or giving them out as gifts.
Meanwhile the cost of ingredients jumped.
I raised my cost from $5 per dozen to $7.50.
Well, the first time she called me for an order she let me know that she'd rounded up a few of her friends and they wanted to buy something like 5 dozen between them.
And" wasn't I excited to have such a big order?" As if she'd done me a favor by addicting her friends to cake truffles.
She about popped a gasket when I told her the new price. And let me know that if I ever wanted to sell them for less, to give her a call. Said she was going to use the recipe I gave her (months ago)and make them herself.
Thought she was gone. Nope.
She called me back at least three times over the following year...once complaining that she was up to her elbows in chocolate and wanting me to tell her why hers didn't look nice of firm up like mine.
I'd talk her thought it the best I could, but my husband told me not to ever make them for her again because she didn't respect my talents or time. She knew full well I have nine children...most of them very young.
I was never more convince of her lack of compassion when six months into my son's life threatening illness she called again wanting me to make truffles. I turned her down since we were too busy traveling back and forth to San Fransisco during his chemo treatments and recovery. (He's healthy now. icon_smile.gif

It had been over a year since she'd called. This afternoon, out of the blue, she rang me up.
My daughter told her that we had made truffles over the holidays as a fund raiser for a mission trip coming up. Then she winked at me and gave me the phone.
"Can you make some more?"
"Yes, but you might not want to pay my prices." I was waiting to drop the bomb.
"Oh, how much are you charging now a days?"
"Fifteen dollars a dozen."
"OH, NO, NO, no...I can't pay THAT much. ARE YOU actually selling any?"
"Yes, I had one woman order seven dozen just to use for her open house in December. She called me back the following week to get four more for her family. Bought over $13O worth all told."
"Oh, well...............I can't pay that much for them."
She went on about how she just helped her daughter out because she was in trouble with a house payment. Her 67 year old daughter. Did I know she was turning 90 next month? Blah..blah..
The conversation didn't go much passed that.
I think, I really hope that I'm done getting calls from Miss Winnie B.
She's given me my two favorite customer quotes.
"Give me a call if you want to sell them for less" and "Are you actually selling any?"
What a character.

mommachris

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 14

Man...I just give you a medal for having 9 kids...No disrespect...I have 2 and they are handful!! Don't you just hate Willy Nilly's who want something for free and as soon as you raise your prices it's forget it!! I have a few customers like this...well former customers anyways...

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 14

Some people just don't understand the time and effort that go into things, $15 a dozen is a good price. Glad to hear your son is in recovery.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:00am
post #4 of 14

I love that she played the age card and the "I'm broke because I helped someone else out so now you should give me a discount" card!

My inlaws are 90 and 94, and they were such pennypinchers when they were younger they have something like ten times as much money as I do. So Pffffffft! to the age card! That doesn't necessarily mean anything!

mommachris Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 1:31am
post #5 of 14

I was taken aside by another volunteer and told by her not to let Miss Winnie play poor. Georgia told me that her husband passes away and left her loaded. She's also the one who let me know the truffles were showing up 'repackaged' and given as gifts.
I didn't care who she gave them to as long as I was getting paid.
I wonder sometimes if she gives the grocery store as much grief as she gave me.
I mean the price of a loaf of bread has gone up to almost $3 and I'm sure she remembers paying a quarter for bread. icon_wink.gif

I'm just glad she finally gets that I'm not her kitchen slave anymore.
She can't afford me. icon_lol.gif

mommachris

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 2:13am
post #6 of 14

We sold cakeballs at the bakery I worked for for $21 a dozen 3 years ago. And that was only with a little squiggle on top...no other decoration. It was our biggest seller. You might think about raising your prices even more.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:29am
post #7 of 14

I thought $15 a dozen was kind of low too. I'm glad you didn't budge on your price.

mommachris Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:37am
post #8 of 14

Actually the bulk price is $15...I sell them for $20 when they are boxed.
I use the cutest chinese take-out boxes.
Living in the depressed area of the valley in Ca means that I can't charge higher than that for now.
We have over 20% unemployment locally. thumbsdown.gif

mommachris

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 11:19am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I love that she played the age card and the "I'm broke because I helped someone else out so now you should give me a discount" card!

My inlaws are 90 and 94, and they were such pennypinchers when they were younger they have something like ten times as much money as I do. So Pffffffft! to the age card! That doesn't necessarily mean anything!

Hubby and I also "Pfffft!" to the phrase "fixed income". you know ... most of us are on a "fixed income". Anyone who is salaried is on a "fixed income". Anyone who gets only 40 hrs a week and no overtime is on a 'fixed income". I know seniors who get a COLA raise with their Soc Security each year, and I know people who work for the gov't who didn't get a raise in 6 years! (seriously .... one person was a single mom of 3. I can't even begin to know how she did it!). I'm not saying that Soc Sec is a "goldmine" to live on, but I'm tired of it sounding like they are the ONLY ONES who have a fixed amount of money to live on.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I know people who work for the gov't who didn't get a raise in 6 years!

Yup, add another one to your list.

mommachris Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 14

We've been working for the state for 17 years. Between furloughs ( phtuootie) and raising the cost of our medical we've lost over 25% of our pay in just the last two years.
If you think that's a lot..you are right. I try to look on the bright side and say at least we are still employed.

I was more annoyed with her thinking that the price she paid three years ago would never change and if it did then it could NOTbe because ingredients have gone up. It must be me just being greedy, trying to make money...the nerve of me wanting to be compensated for my time. Honestly with such a large family I must have time to sit twiddling my thumbs hoping someone would call and ask me to bake. icon_rolleyes.gif
She just could see anything but her own wants...you'd think since she's been around so long that she would have a clue by now.

mommachris

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 14

My grandma is on a fixed income from S.S.I. of...$145 a month. And it gets reduced every few years. So I think I can manage no raises for 6 years much better then S.S.I. fixed income. Oh and with that income at the age of 93, she doesn't even qualify for food stanps. She makes too much money.

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 14

I cant believe you ever charged only $7 per dozen let alone $5 and she's even worse that she complained about that. Some people just dont appreciate anything.

Also cant belive you have 13 children and still manage to have time to decorate cake pops!

PS My grandpas name was Zebedee too! Glad your son that was ill is better now!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

She just could see anything but her own wants...you'd think since she's been around so long that she would have a clue by now.

mommachris

She does have a clue, that's how she knows so well how to play on people's sympathies.....
I know someone in town who lives in a huge gorgeous house. She invited me over to get to know her, and I went. No ac, it was sweltering in there. She told me the story of her life, coming here as a child immigrant with her family, marrying, her husband building this huge business, then on to how the government took her business from her and how she understands what it's like to be a millionaire, but also what it's like to be broke, even suggesting she is penniless. Well, later, in a conversation with someone who knows her well, he told me that her declaring to be penniless is the equivalent of Donald Trump declaring bankruptcy, she's still loaded. Turns out she has no ac because she simply doesn't like it, not that she can't afford it.

So yeah, I'm sure your customer has a clue..... At least you haven't backed down to her at any time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%