Cake Dummies

Decorating By prettycupcake Updated 5 Jan 2012 , 5:00pm by prettycupcake

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone, does anyone know if cake dummies are covered by fondant? I bought some cake dummies that I would like to decorate for pictures but I really don't want to waste my fondant since I buy mine and I don't make MMF. Any suggestions pls....

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycupcake

Hello everyone, does anyone know if cake dummies are covered by fondant? I bought some cake dummies that I would like to decorate for pictures but I really don't want to waste my fondant since I buy mine and I don't make MMF. Any suggestions pls....

Do you mean covered WITH fondant? (I doubt they're available precovered, but you can always google it.)

I assume the dummies you purchased are plain styrofoam, and you're looking to purchase additional dummies if you can locate precovered fondant dummies????? (If you find what you're looking for, let us know what colors might be available.)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 5

Hey! You sent me a PM that I didn't get a chance to answer yet... might as well do it here...

Yes you cover and decorate the styrofoam just like it was regular cake. The only real short cut is you can brush on shortening so the fondant will stick to it in place of using buttercream and obviously it does not need any internal support, but other then that, you go about it the same as if it was a real cake. The one of mine you were asking about took me 3 full days to decorate!

That's why "fake cakes" are not cheaper then real cake, and wedding bloggers and magazines are frankly insulting when they keep telling brides they can get a fake cake for "cheap". They are sooooo wrong, at least in my case.

Good luck!

prettycupcake Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycupcake

Do you mean covered WITH fondant? (I doubt they're available precovered, but you can always google it.)

I assume the dummies you purchased are plain styrofoam, and you're looking to purchase additional dummies if you can locate precovered fondant dummies????? (If you find what you're looking for, let us know what colors might be available.)

Wow, I totally messed that up..lol...mine are just Styrofoam. I wanted to know if Im supposed to cover them with fondant, or there something else that is made to cover dummies?

prettycupcake Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Hey! You sent me a PM that I didn't get a chance to answer yet... might as well do it here...

Yes you cover and decorate the styrofoam just like it was regular cake. The only real short cut is you can brush on shortening so the fondant will stick to it in place of using buttercream and obviously it does not need any internal support, but other then that, you go about it the same as if it was a real cake. The one of mine you were asking about took me 3 full days to decorate!

That's why "fake cakes" are not cheaper then real cake, and wedding bloggers and magazines are frankly insulting when they keep telling brides they can get a fake cake for "cheap". They are sooooo wrong, at least in my case.

Good luck!

Hi, thank you for replying....I don't think they understand that the charges that we charge is for the work and time. Its not just the material. I know it takes days...it is edible art!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%