Chocolate Cake To Carve?

Decorating By fladebbee Updated 8 Jan 2012 , 10:47am by tracey6277

fladebbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fladebbee Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 5

I need a chocolate cake to carve and wondered what recipe you used for your groom's cake, I know the posting I saw was along time ago, but I'm hoping you can still help me. Thank you.

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 5

I've used the chocolate WASC for carving and it works very well. It also tastes really good.

tracey6277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey6277 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 5

I have a fab recipe (UK one), its not the cheapest to make but it is fab for carving. this is the basic recipe and i multiply the mix to suit the tin im using.

125g plain flour
125g sealf raising flour
60g dark cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
625g caster sugar (this is not a typo error....... but doesnt taste that sweet when its baked)
250g dark chocolate (min 55%)
250g butter
125ml buttermilk
2tbsp oil
2tbsp coffee granuals
4 eggs at room temp

heat oven to 160 C, prepare 9inch square tin, line with parchment paper extending at least 2cm above the rim

sift flours, cocoa, bicarb into a large bowl, stir in the sugar

put the chocolate and butter in a saucepan and ass 185ml water. stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir into dry ingredients

whisk the buttermilk, oil, coffee and eggs together and add to mixture, stiring until smooth.

Back for APROX 1hr 30 mins, however i start at 1 hour and gage it from there as i use it in many different size and shape tins. This is a very moist cake so the skewer will still have a bit of reside on it when its ready

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for that recipe, tracey6277. I didn't have a good scratch chocolate recipe for carving. This one sounds really good. And I love recipes that do things by weight. It saves so much hassle in the long run!

tracey6277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey6277 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 10:47am
post #5 of 5

let me know how you get on with the recipe, it is the only chocolate one i will use now and works everytime even for minicupcakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%