Help: Imbc And Smbc Recipe? Best One?

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 5:38pm by KatrinaBroughton

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 7:07pm
post #31 of 37

Yes it can be used under fondant you just have to chill the buttercream really well once it's on the cake then apply the fondant.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 8:43pm
post #32 of 37

Julie,

Go to YouTube.com and look up Warren Brown Italian Meringue Buttercream. That is the recipe I use.

Make sure you use unsalted butter, and I use 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla extract.

Annie

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 10:10pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Julie,

Go to YouTube.com and look up Warren Brown Italian Meringue Buttercream. That is the recipe I use.

Make sure you use unsalted butter, and I use 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla extract.

Annie

Yes, that's the recipe I used and is totally amazing. Since it was my first time making it, at one point, I panicked when I added the butter and my beautiful mix diflated icon_cry.gif but then I continued whipping and wallaaaa! it came back to life and I got perfect IMBC!!!! icon_smile.gif

Juliegre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliegre Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:53am
post #34 of 37

Thanks you!!!!

KatrinaBroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatrinaBroughton Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 1:19pm
post #35 of 37

I use recipes from Cake Bible and also from Bonnie Gordon's school in Toronto (they use a standard SMBC recipe).

Does anyone find its harder to make IMBC a cleaner and smoother finish compared to SMBC given its a bit firmer?

Also check out the free Buttercream cakes lesson on Craftsy. I found it really helpful, and its free!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 5:24pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaBroughton

I use recipes from Cake Bible

I have the Cake Bible book and I can not find the recipe for SMBC...does she calls it 'Silk BC' or something like that?? what page is it on??

KatrinaBroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatrinaBroughton Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 5:38pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

I have the Cake Bible book and I can not find the recipe for SMBC...does she calls it 'Silk BC' or something like that?? what page is it on??

Sorry - to clarify I don't think the Cake Bible has an SMBC recipe - the IMBC recipe is Mousseline Buttercream (p244). I haven't tried the other buttercream recipes in the Cake Bible.

The SMBC recipe I use is:
200 g sugar
150 g egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton)
2 cups (1 lb) softened unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
Dissolve egg whites and sugar in mixer bowl over double boiler to 55-60 C, stiring constantly. Whisk egg whites on medium high to medium stiff peaks - ensure whites are completely cooled. Add butter in chunks, then vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%