I Finally Figured Out Mmf

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 16 Dec 2011 , 6:54pm by MacsMom

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:30am
post #1 of 13

So I have posted about MMF and how I was starting to hate it. Tonight I did something different. Instead of adding some of the sugar to the bowl of melted marshmallows, I sifted the sugar on my greased counter top and poured the MM on top of it. After that I just kinda of pushed the sugar into the MMs, folding it in I guess and it was the easiest way for me to mix it. My hands didn't nearly get as sticky and messy. I think I may scale back on my sugar because I only used 10 oz of MM, came out a little dry...but hey I found out what works for me! I was so happy that I may just start liking MMF again. haha! icon_lol.gif

karen

12 replies
Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 7:17am
post #2 of 13

Hehe its exactly what I do. I add a little PS to the bowl of melted mallows though and give a quick stir so its not too goopy when I turf it out onto the PS on the counter icon_smile.gif

If it was dry, you did add the water to the MM before melting right?

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 8:13am
post #3 of 13

Remember You Tube is your friend. If I want to try something new, I check youtube and watch a few videos to see who struggles the least and try to do what they do. Im always thankful for those people whose whole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others and Im fascinated that they video it! I also find chanting "the Lord is with me, the Lord is with me" the whole time Im kneading helps! Which reminds me, I forgot to check youtube about making gumpaste...have my first batch resting right now. Heres hoping its not a brick in the morning!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 11:17am
post #4 of 13

I use MMF exclusively...
What worked for me is to eliminate the water (makes it too sticky), and add 1/2 c. Crisco right in with the MM's while they're melting.

...and I NEVER knead in p. sugar anywhere but right in the same large melting bowl (less mess to clean).

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 13

I like this trick... For some reason my kitchen aid just isn't making fondant to my standards anymore... I think the room is too cold or something but it's about to drive me up a wall... It actually caused the bowl to pop off yesterday while it was mixing! Stupid winter. I've also noticed that with my homemade mmf, I tend to add less sugar as the days go on.... Last cake I think I only got in about 5 cups into about 14oz mm... And it was just sooooo pretty when I rolled it out and tasted sooo yummy and was able to do it thinner than normal and it smoothed out... It was the fondant of my dreams haha... Not to mention if you accidentally forget and leave out mmf, I pop it back in the microwave til right before it's liquid and its just like new again lol...

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:43am
post #6 of 13

Tails- Yes I added 3 tbs water in with the mm before I put them in the microwave. I don't know why it came out so dry...maybe I used a little to much p/s lol. I wasn't able to get thin like I wanted to when I rolled it out. I am just practicing cakes, so nobody cares about thick fondant around here, just peel it off...lol.
And yes it is a mess, but I don't mind cleaning it up if it comes out right and not in the trash can.

karen

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 2:05am
post #7 of 13

cangela4re, I made my first homemade gum paste using gum-tex, glucose, ps and water, and it was indeed a brick by the next day, but then when I kneaded it, it came out really smooth and easy to work with. So much cheaper than buying Wilton's, too! Good luck!

cangela4re Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:20am
post #8 of 13

Actually, my gum paste turned out great, I used an old fashioned gelatin/water/ps/cornstarch recipe I found here...no gumtex and it was so easy to make, It was hard this morning but kneaded out just fine and I got to experiment with it a little this afternoon. This is my first time trying to use anything besides fondant and modeling chocolate so we'll see how it goes. I love this place!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:38am
post #9 of 13

I, too, mix everything into one large bowl when making MMF. Large spatula to stir the first half of PS, then hands. I have to try adding Crisco to it - I only use it to prep the bowl.

I love Wiltons premade gumpaste - dries so quickly and easy to roll out, not much kneading required. I always use my 40% coupons at JoAnns or Michaels, so I think it's worth the $6.

cangela4re Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 13

Using the bowl to combine the ingredients for MMF really does help with the mess, Im glad I did learn that from youtube before trying my first batch...I even forget to grease the bowl sometimes but I do grease my hands when I dump it into the powdered sugar well on my counter to finish kneading and that seems to work for me with minimal clean up.

macsmom: I tried getting premade gumpaste at Michaels but they were out of it AND out of the GumTex but that night I logged on here and found the recipe without it and it worked great really. It wasnt awful to knead the next morning especially when you break into smaller hunks to color and knead separately. Ive never used the Wiltons so I dont know the difference but I was surprised at how long I could "fiddle" with the home made gumpaste before it began to dry out. So many people talk about how quickly you have to work with it that it has always made me shy away from trying it as it I imagine it takes me longer than say a professional to shape things but Im pleased with it so far...I dont know if that might change if I were under a deadline with 200 roses to make or something lol!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by esangston

Not to mention if you accidentally forget and leave out mmf, I pop it back in the microwave til right before it's liquid and its just like new again lol...

I actually just learned this over the weekend----I wish I knew all along, after spending hours trying to knead rock hard fondant and killing my wrists...my mother came over and suggested putting it in the microwave for a few seconds....and -just like you said - like new again!!

I only use MMF, too- I also knead it on the counter, I've never tried using the kitchenaid for it, I might soon though...

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 13

When you're blending/kneading in colorings, also try microwaving first....it's so much easier.

I ALWAYS mic before I do anything with MMF...
I even purchased a separate small mic and cart (w/ wheels) so I wouldn't have to keep walking to the kitchen, and I don't even make that many cakes, but I love it...I keep it in a closet.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 13

...I mainly use Wilton gumpaste for bows. I like that I can form the loops then put the whole thing together two hours later. It's fast drying properties are also great when I forget to make certain things in advance, and to mix into MMF for making ruffles or couture-style flowers.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%