Gritty Buttercream

Decorating By lakish Updated 10 Dec 2011 , 4:31am by scp1127

lakish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakish Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 6

hi,
My buttercream is always not as smooth as I want it to be no matter what recipe or what brand of sugar I use. I used Indydeby's recipe and i even sift the sugar. I tried dominos and C&H and Sams brand sugars too. What else do you guys think I am doing wrong?
Thank you.

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 6

My guess is it's something to do with the Dream Whip. That is the only time I had gritty butter cream. I don't use it anymore as I didn't find the need for the additional cost. Maybe someone else has a different opinion/solution.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 6

Buttercream always tastes gritty to me. It's just the way I feel it on my teeth. My husband says I'm nuts, it's not gritty, but I can taste the grit. No matter how long I mixed, I still felt it. I've tried several brands of sugar, and I always sift. I've learned to just keep it on my tongue, not let it touch my teeth at all. I'm just way too sensitive, I guess. Maybe you are, too.

amaguri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaguri Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 4:07am
post #4 of 6

You may want to consider something like a swiss meringue buttercream, where the sugar is completely dissolved prior to mixing. It's a little more work but the end result is smoooooooth!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 4:30am
post #5 of 6

I've never had gritty buttercream. I make sure all of my ingredients are room temperature, including whatever liquid I'm using.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 4:31am
post #6 of 6

It's just the powdered sugar/shortening mouth feel. I don't like it, but it's personal. I use only European buttercreams... IMBC, SMBC, FBC, GBC. It is worth the effort to learn these if you hate ABC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%