Does A Fondant Cake Taste As Good As A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By DeeDeesCakeNStuff Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 7:40pm by vtcake

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:05am
post #61 of 82

I don't know that there is an ignore list per say, but if you look at the top of this page there is a link for it. As far as the people here who tell people there is only one way to do things, that is wrong. Don't tell people to never use shortening in buttercream because some sites and members recommend it especially when serving a cake that will be out in the heat and sun for a long time. Don't tell people that your way of making vanilla is the only right way. It's very frustrating that there are so many people who do things differently and I am reading people insisting that their was is the only right way. And if you open your eyes and your mind you may find that you learn things from people who have a new perspective on things, if not try to teach them and not preach to them. I never said my way is the only or correct way to do things, but I do read it from a lot of people who obviously think highly of themselves. And am I gonna shut up because I'm a new person here, No, this aint my fist rodeo as far as forums go. Believe it or not, I'm a very nice person, but I'm not pushover.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:18am
post #62 of 82

This forum is populated by some very helpful experts who spend a great deal of their time sharing their considerable knowledge. It's also populated by very helpful new members who are very experienced cake people, or business people, who share as much as they can. It's also populated by people who are able to express their opinions with respect.

If you have done any reading on older threads, you'll see that the debate over butter/shortening icings has been very well hashed out in the past, and that many people will agree with your opinion. You don't need to take the advice of anyone here, especially anyone whose posting style you dislike. If something's working for you, great!

Someone who has been a member of many forums should realise that it's always prudent to hang back a little at first, and really get a feel for the culture of the forum, which is different in each case, and to respect the knowledge and experience of some of the longer standing members (referring here to others, not myself).

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:26am
post #63 of 82

SoFlo, I will come out and say what others are too kind to say, since you addressed me:

First of all, as I posted in another thread, many of us in the business and scratch baking forums, where I mostly post, are either very experienced, or look up answers to make sure that we give the best possible answer. We care and work hard to give the right message.

I have found on many of my posts over the past two weeks, that you will reply to one of my researched, detailed explanations with just the opposite, seeming to pull the answer out of thin air with no credible source.

When I and others try to give the best possible answer, we have no problem with another opinion in a debate-like response. Usually, a poster will have another point of view and we can all agree to disagree, providing the readers with several opitions to consider for their own situation. These opposing views are credible and provide another option.

But when every single post is just random weird messages that have no backup source, it gets irritating. There are new people on here who don't know the difference between those of us who either have experience or who have taken the time to research the answer for an OP and other readers of the thread and those responses with no credible merit.

It is confusing to new readers when the opposite response is given just for the point to be opposite.

And since you post on almost every thread, your posts are unavoidable.

Welcome to CC and I hope you find your niche here. Please take the time to think about your responses and make sure they provide good advice because it is a subject that you know about. You have stated that you are new to baking and decorating. But soon enough, you will have experiences that you can report. These are the posts that are helpful.

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:27am
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Someone who has been a member of many forums should realise that it's always prudent to hang back a little at first, and really get a feel for the culture of the forum, which is different in each case, and to respect the knowledge and experience of some of the longer standing members (referring here to others, not myself).

Nah, that style doesn't work for me, No one is better than anyone else, when you start thinking you are better it's time to check yourself. We are just people on the internet, if you are the Queen of England or a homeless person online at shelter you will get the same respect from me. I don't mince words, and I don't walk on eggshells. If a forum administrator doesn't like that they are free to ban me.

mcaulir Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:34am
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

Quote:

Nah, that style doesn't work for me, No one is better than anyone else, when you start thinking you are better it's time to check yourself. We are just people on the internet, if you are the Queen of England or a homeless person online at shelter you will get the same respect from me. I don't mince words, and I don't walk on eggshells. If a forum administrator doesn't like that they are free to ban me.

Respecting people's knowledge on a particular subject doesn't 'work for you'? If the homeless person knew more about baking or decorating, they'd be more worthy of listening to on a baking and decorating forum.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:38am
post #66 of 82

I forgot to address your other references to me.

First, I said that I don't use shortening in my buttercream. I did not say that people who use shortening are bad people. This is not personal. If I opened a shop that was priced for the mainstream market, I would probably cut my buttercream with some shortening.

Now the big one. I'm sorry, but your information about extract was incorrect on many issues. You came on there like an expert and you clearly are not. Matthewkelley and I both tried to explain. Yours is flavored vodka. Sorry, it is not extract by any stretch. Your insistence on being right doesn't help those who really want to do it right.

I happen to be an expert on vanilla extract. My extracts will be marketed nationally by the end of this year. I had a wholesaler approach me and the first batches are "brewing". It will meet FDA standards in my FDA kitchen.

Because of that post, many members have pm'd me about the ratios and they got them.

Please stop acting like people who rebutt your posts are somehow out to get you. But as many CC members know, I will state the correct information if it is an issue with a clear-cut answer, like vanilla extract. This is getting old.

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:40am
post #67 of 82

Trying to scare new members from posting so you "experts" can all agree as to what tastes best when it's actually a matter of taste and opinion and has no right answer, and telling people that there is only one way, your way, to do something. Does that work for you?

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:48am
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

First, I said that I don't use shortening in my buttercream. I did not say that people who use shortening are bad people. This is not personal. If I opened a shop that was priced for the mainstream market, I would probably cut my buttercream with some shortening.

Now the big one. I'm sorry, but your information about extract was incorrect on many issues. You came on there like an expert and you clearly are not. Matthewkelley and I both tried to explain. Yours is flavored vodka. Sorry, it is not extract by any stretch. Your insistence on being right doesn't help those who really want to do it right.

I happen to be an expert on vanilla extract. My extracts will be marketed nationally by the end of this year. I had a wholesaler approach me and the first batches are "brewing". It will meet FDA standards in my FDA kitchen.

Because of that post, many members have pm'd me about the ratios and they got them.

Please stop acting like people who rebutt your posts are somehow out to get you. But as many CC members know, I will state the correct information if it is an issue with a clear-cut answer, like vanilla extract. This is getting old.

You said " no shortening ever in any product. Well, I do have two exceptions Oreo and Classic Whoopie. "

So basically what you said is no shortening ever in buttercream (or anything else besides your two examples), and you didn't say "for you".

If you were such an expert on vanilla you would know that Vodka is a neutral grain spirit. You are adding vanilla to flavor it. I'm hoping you know that vanilla is a flavoring agent. So all that vanilla is, is essentially vanilla flavored vodka, it's the strength and time that makes it what is called extract. Again, Vodka has no flavor, you are adding vanilla to flavor it, the end product is called extract. Glad I could teach the expert something. Oh and mine may be a weaker recipe than yours, but it smells and tastes of vanilla extract, and I love it and it's worked in all my recipes, and does not change the color of my vanilla buttercream.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:55am
post #69 of 82

I think I'll avoid whatever conflict is going on and actually address the question posted by the OP.
The answer is....there is no 'right' answer. Some people love fondant, others don't. I've had fondant that is delicious...but I prefer real butter buttercream on my cake. I think those that have issues with fondant find it's not so much about taste as it is texture.

Fondant, while it can be quite yummy, is more chewy than most people expect so it may take some aback and they'll claim they 'hate' it when they're just used to biting into creamy buttercream on their cake. I use fondant as decor and most of it gets eaten so something must taste pretty good. I actually have found that the fondant takes on the flavor of the buttercream so it blends pretty well together.

Taste is in the mouth of the beholder! (thinking of turning that into a bumpersticker icon_biggrin.gif )
Now the rest of you can get back to arguing about whatever you're arguing about. thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 7:06am
post #70 of 82

Good grief.

You are dead wrong about the extract. Please stop saying I'm wrong. How many pm's do you have asking for the ratios? That's what I thought. I probably have 100. Please learn to use google. You would be disqualified from this debate. Random information that doesn't pertain to the topic is not a rebuttal.

And don't cut out pertinent parts of a post to make a point. That's playing dirty. The thread was, "What is YOUR go-to buttercream for cupcakes?" My response was MY go-to. I'm allowed to have a favorite just like everyone else.

And by the way, you can go to Federal prison for copyright/trademark infringement. Just one more of your posts that provided completely incorrect information after Jason, me, and many others explained with researched information from official sites.

If you are going to debate, please look up your answers instead of passing them off as expert. Or just a quick google will find what those of us who quote law have already looked up.

And please, if you are going to attack me, remember, every CC member can click on my profile and see for themselves that you intentionally tried to misquote me for your own purposes.

If you look closely at the threads where you have posted, quite a few members have politely asked that you make your posts relevant to the topic and to make sure the post adds to the discussion.

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 7:31am
post #71 of 82
Quote:

Good grief.

You are dead wrong about the extract. Please stop saying I'm wrong. How many pm's do you have asking for the ratios? That's what I thought. I probably have 100. Please learn to use google. You would be disqualified from this debate. Random information that doesn't pertain to the topic is not a rebuttal.

And don't cut out pertinent parts of a post to make a point. That's playing dirty. The thread was, "What is YOUR go-to buttercream for cupcakes?" My response was MY go-to. I'm allowed to have a favorite just like everyone else.

And by the way, you can go to Federal prison for copyright/trademark infringement.

Are you mistaken or are you lying your response was exactly this in full. Your response was not "my go to recipe is" or "I use} The way you phrase it implies that this is what everyone should do.

{Any of the European buttercreams plus cream cheese with just butter, no shortening ever in any product. Well, I do have two exceptions... Oreo and Classic Whoopie, but shortening is used in the original recipes and these are supposed to be authentic.]

here is a link to the thread so others can see for themselves. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=744807&highlight=

and your response was no shortening in any product, but the topic was in cupcake buttercream. Another reason why you are "mistaken" You word your response as if to tell everyone what to do, you are entitled to your favorite recipe, and that is fine. When I read your response it reminded my of "no wire hangers ever" but instead it was "no shortening ever'.

Are you claiming that vanilla extract is not Vodka that has been flavored with vanilla beans? Because that is vanilla flavored vodka. If it was Vanilla cheese, or Vanilla syrup, or Vanilla paste or Vanilla milk or Vanilla gum (yes I know some of these things don't exist) you would have an argument, but you are not changing the texture or alcohol content of the vodka all your are doing is flavoring the vodka you are not removing the alcohol either. You are telling people you are a vanilla expert and trying to convince them that extract is something other than vanilla flavored vodka. You are making FDA extract, you don't even know why the FDA requires the amount of beans that they do. Maybe it's because commercial makers are allowed to add sweeteners and colors to make how they think it should taste and to cut corners and costs or they are allowed to let it go to market with less aging and it needs to have more beans to become vanilla extract faster. Ironic that you love corporate extract recipes so much but have a disdain for shortening. Guess what now I'm gonna call myself a vanilla extract expert too. And it doesn't matter if 0 or a million people PM me for my recipe.

and I never said that you can't be put in jail for copyright infringements.

---------------------------------

I don't really want to argue with you, I don't think you are a bad person. I do think you may be a little full of yourself, and you may think I'm a jerk, and I can be at times.

Let's just agree to disagree.

You can rebut, but please do not take anything personally or to heart. I love a good argument sometimes. I wrote some mean things out of frustration, I don't mean them.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:03am
post #72 of 82

You just validated my response in your post. Thank you.

I just saw a few other threads where people who responded asked you to stay on track or at least offer a valid answer.

Please learn to use google. It will save you from typing long posts that are incorrect, just like the one above.

In my three years on CC, I have never seen such weird responses. It's like you try to start something. At least most debates offer two valid sides. Your responses are just out there.

Wallet in the refrigerator...

Offering an answer to your own threads with a response that showed that you never really needed advice in the first place.

Call yourself anything you want.

And by the way, no wire hangers is a relevant response to what is your go-to hanger. What is your point?

To those who want to know about extracts, pm me. I have had many successful pms from people who use my formula and are thrilled with the results. I have given out the recipe to those who have asked at least 100 times to people who asked me in a pm. And I am not talking out of my hat. It is rather simple to find the answer online. But I also provide a great source at a reasonable price with beans that are the best tasting I have ever had.

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:13am
post #73 of 82
Quote:

Wallet in the refrigerator...

And by the way, no wire hangers is a relevant response to what is your go-to hanger. What is your point?

The wallet thing was a joke, a lot of people don't get my sense of humor.
The wire hanger thing was from Mommy Dearest. When I read your post it looked insulting and that you were trying to make yourself better than everyone else.

In the end we are never going to agree on these things that we disagree on so it's best just to drop it. I wish you well with your extract and baking business.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:17am
post #74 of 82

For those of you wondering why I am responding rather than ignoring, it comes back to my earlier post about google searches.

This persons incorrect information about facts will eventually be a google search result.

Someone like you great CC members will look up a subject and many times, a CC forum post will appear as a result. That is how I found CC a few years ago.

When someone looks up a subject, SoFlo's answer may be in the mix. But the correct response will also be there. That is why in many of my posts I repeat to look up information on official sites. When someone gets conflicting information, especially on legal issues, I hope they get the suggestion to find the true answer themselves.

So no, I'm not feeding this issue. I'm just trying to make sure that correct information is available. Some of us have worked hard to provide research. We don't need off the wall responses clouding the issues.

I have no problem with people who don't agree with me. I actually enjoy it and respect those who offer another opinion. They sometimes get mad, but I never get mad back. These debates offer great information.

But some issues are not up for debate because they are law or a physical fact. Of course we can debate whether or not we agree with the law, but statements like you can't go to jail over copyright infringement are just plain wrong.

Those who want a replacement for store-bought extract have a right to know how to make the equivalent. There is no law against using flavored vodka, but for those truly wanting a substitute, they should be able to get correct, easily verifiable answers, not wrong answers backed by long drawn out fluff.

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:26am
post #75 of 82

I tired to be nice, but you showed your true colors and that tells me that my first instinct about you was right. I've run into people like you, where you try to call a truce and they let their pride get in the way. Very unreasonable for no reason, they will carry a grudge to their grave So be it, it's just funny how you try to hide behind trying to save Google as if they need you.

mcaulir Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 8:46am
post #76 of 82
Quote:

Quote:

Good grief.

And by the way, you can go to Federal prison for copyright/trademark infringement.

Are you mistaken or are you lying your response was exactly this in full. Your response was not "my go to recipe is" or "I use} The way you phrase it implies that this is what everyone should do.

{Any of the European buttercreams plus cream cheese with just butter, no shortening ever in any product. Well, I do have two exceptions... Oreo and Classic Whoopie, but shortening is used in the original recipes and these are supposed to be authentic.]

here is a link to the thread so others can see for themselves. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=744807&highlight=

and your response was no shortening in any product, but the topic was in cupcake buttercream. Another reason why you are "mistaken" You word your response as if to tell everyone what to do, you are entitled to your favorite recipe, and that is fine. When I read your response it reminded my of "no wire hangers ever" but instead it was "no shortening ever'.

Are you claiming that vanilla extract is not Vodka that has been flavored with vanilla beans? Because that is vanilla flavored vodka. If it was Vanilla cheese, or Vanilla syrup, or Vanilla paste or Vanilla milk or Vanilla gum (yes I know some of these things don't exist) you would have an argument, but you are not changing the texture or alcohol content of the vodka all your are doing is flavoring the vodka you are not removing the alcohol either. You are telling people you are a vanilla expert and trying to convince them that extract is something other than vanilla flavored vodka. You are making FDA extract, you don't even know why the FDA requires the amount of beans that they do. Maybe it's because commercial makers are allowed to add sweeteners and colors to make how they think it should taste and to cut corners and costs or they are allowed to let it go to market with less aging and it needs to have more beans to become vanilla extract faster. Ironic that you love corporate extract recipes so much but have a disdain for shortening. Guess what now I'm gonna call myself a vanilla extract expert too. And it doesn't matter if 0 or a million people PM me for my recipe.

and I never said that you can't be put in jail for copyright infringements.

---------------------------------

I don't really want to argue with you, I don't think you are a bad person. I do think you may be a little full of yourself, and you may think I'm a jerk, and I can be at times.

Let's just agree to disagree.

You can rebut, but please do not take anything personally or to heart. I love a good argument sometimes. I wrote some mean things out of frustration, I don't mean them.

It is ridiculously clear that in answer to the question, "What is your go-to buttercream?", scp1127 gave an answer that applies to what she does.

scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 9:03am
post #77 of 82

Thanks again mcaulir.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 11:01am
post #78 of 82
Quote:

if you think that everyone who does cakes is equal and deserving of the same type of respect in terms of advice that they give, you obviosuly haven't seen cakewrecks.

PattyDif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyDif Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:03pm
post #79 of 82

Oh Geez, you just lost a member. I am not posting here anymore. Going to my other forum to post. Too much drama here. I've been a member of moderated forums before and left because it is a power game that the moderators play. Ends up being confrontational and power struggles. icon_rolleyes.gif

My other forum is not moderated and everyone has a great time, and respects one another.

Bye. icon_eek.gif

SoFloGuy Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 3:05pm
post #80 of 82
Quote:

It is ridiculously clear that in answer to the question, "What is your go-to buttercream?", scp1127 gave an answer that applies to what she does.

That is where you are wrong. It asked what is your go to recipe, instead of a recipe she just basically said don't use shortening.

scp1127 Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 6:39am
post #81 of 82

SoFlo, I thought you were an expert on everything. I clearly stated all of the European buttercreams. Google, google, google, before you put your foot in your mouth again.

And you have already insulted many people today on other threads. I thought you were leaving. Oh well, one can only hope...

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 7:40pm
post #82 of 82

Really...who cares? I tried to follow along just because I am on my couch recuperating from surgery and thought it'd be interesting, but honestly I guess I'm not scientific enough to follow it all.

I understand the comment though, and I am certainly paraphrasing, about certain people having a bullying effect. I am NOT saying anyone on this thread is, just agreeing. I've always said, even to myself, if you want to find a bully, try the Weight Watchers forums!

Anyway, this may be the vicodin talking, but can't enough be enough?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%