Best Technique For Cutting Fondant Ribbons & Applying To

Decorating By Jknoxcake2011 Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 9:45pm by Jknoxcake2011

Jknoxcake2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jknoxcake2011 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 8

Just did a birthday cake with wide fondant ribbons that ran circumfrentially around the base of the cake... Cutting the long strips was moderately difficult with the Wilton ribbon cutter/embosser tool ( the nut that secures the spacers on the end kept coming off)... But then to transfer those long wide ribbons to the cake... Whew! I mut have redid each ribbon 3-4 times... I tried rolling it on my fondant roller, picking it up..l it kept stretching and breaking, finally used the mat to roll it out and cut pull it off... I ended up stretching it out pulling it off but still made it to the cake OK... Not as perfect as I would have preferred.

Any tips/ tricks to getting your fondant ribbon to cake without messing it up too badly?

7 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 8

I know alot of people like to use the ribbon cutter but I have a long metal Meter/yard stick that I use as a straight edge and a pizza cutter. I roll the fondant out on a mat, lay the yard stick on it, run the pizza cutter up along the yard stick to cut the first side of the ribbon. Then I move the yard stick over to get the width I want the ribbon to be and cut the 2nd side. Use some powdered sugar on your mat when rolling out your fondant. After the ribbon is cut use a puff with some powdered sugar in it to coat the top of your fondant. The roll the fonant up, position it at the base of your cake and unroll it as you attach it to your cake.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 8

I use a tool I bought at a restaurant supply store. It's a multi-wheel pastry cutter that has an adjustable width on it. Looks kind of like an accordion with wing nuts on it. Only cost me about $10 dollars and I love it! One pass and I have 4 or 5 strips (can't remember) perfectly even. I just use a ruler to set my desired width at the beginning and don't have to reset it again no matter how many times I use it.

After cutting my strips I start at one end of the ribbon and roll it up, Then just transfer to my cake and unroll. Works like a charm every time.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 8

just google "multi-wheel pastry cutter" and it comes right up. Amazon has one for $13 but if you have a restaurant supply store near you you can probably finder it cheaper than that and no shipping costs.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 8

I've seen those cutters and would love to get one. Another item for my Christmas list! icon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 8

I just use a ruler and the wilton's pastry/pizza cutter.

Jknoxcake2011 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome, pastry cutter is on my wish list. Thanks for the rolling it up top, never even thought of that. You guys rock icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Jknoxcake2011 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 8

*tip, not top icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%