Fresh Pomegranate?

Baking By SammieB Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 11:27pm by SammieB

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 6

I know pomegranate is in season right now, and while I had tasted pomegranate flavored things plenty of time, I'd never had a fresh one until today. It is fabulous! So of course now I'm dying to try something with cake.

Has anyone used fresh seeds in a recipe? I know I could squash them and get the juice for flavoring, but I didn't know if anyone put them in cake batter like you would with blueberries or fruit.

Of course now I want to make muffins in the morning for breakfast too. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 1:13am
post #2 of 6

Not in cake but it makes one heck of a martini!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 6

Don't use the seeds, they're quite bitter if you chew them. And have a somewhat chalky texture. Figure our a way to juice them so you can just get pulp and juice.

meljce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meljce Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

I use a citrus juicer. Works good.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the recipes and tips! I actually had already made those ginger pomegranate muffins b/c I went searching after I posted this. They were pretty good though could have been a little sweeter. I didn't mind the seeds in them at all, but I'm used to muffins have some crunchy stuff like nuts and streusel. I didn't really notice a bitter taste at all with them, even when I just ate the seeds alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%