Quilting On Buttercream

Decorating By ksuwildcats Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 4:59am by scp1127

ksuwildcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksuwildcats Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 10

Can anyone give me tips on making a quilted look on a buttercream cake? I want it to be as even and perfect as I can because it is for a wedding cake. I bought an impression mat that says it can be used on fondant or buttercream, however the owner of the cake store says that it won't work well. Any advice would be appreciated.

9 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 10

When I use an impression mat on buttercream, I make sure my cake is nice and cold before using. I also use an all-butter buttercream, so I'm not sure how this will work on other recipes.

While the cake is nice and cold and the icing is nice and stiff I will roll the impression mat against the cake. It will just leave an indentation of the lines. I then go back with a quilting roller (or even a knife if I want a nice deep grove) and just follow the lines. HTH!

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 4:10am
post #3 of 10

I've done it with a good crusting buttercream. I put a Viva paper towel over the cake, then place the mat up against the paper towel and use a rolling pin (the little one that looks like a paint roller) to roll over the mat, pressing firmly, but don't go all the way to the edge or you'll have a line where it ends. Works great.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 5:28am
post #4 of 10

This Toy Story cake had quilting done in buttercream....I used a good crusting buttercream, then taped a viva paper towel over the edge of a ruler and used that to add in the "stitching"

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1780870

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 6:39am
post #5 of 10

Id freeze it then try it if the viva don't work

susiekoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:49am
post #6 of 10

I use the diamond cutter from Sugar Delites for quilting . It works both for fondant and buttercream.
Make sure your cake is super cold and it works great.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:10am
post #7 of 10

Great tip Nancy! thumbs_up.gif

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:10am
post #8 of 10

Great tip Nancy! thumbs_up.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 4:57am
post #9 of 10

I'm OCD about not having a start/stop point. I divide it evenly and mark each starting point at the top with a dot. I then make a 45 degree angle (or any angle degree) out of cardstock. I round it on a counter to bend it a little to conform to the round cake. Attach a Viva paper towel to the cardstock. Now start going around the cake with a tool and using the edge as a guide. Turn the cardstock around, bend it to curve the other way and go around again.

To measure the distance, pull a tape measure around the cake. If it is 19" and you want it about 1 1/2" apart, divide 19 by 1 1/2. You get 12.6, so you will need to go slightly over 1.5 inch or you will come up short. 1.6 x 12 lines equals 19.2. If you are worried about the math, plot the dots out on graph paper and pull it around the cake. Use this guide to mark the cake.

Using this method, you don't need a mat, your lines will be clean, and you have the freedom to do anything from squares to elongated harlequins just by adjusting the angle and going from the same space marking plan.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 4:59am
post #10 of 10

I had signed up to not have advertisements in my posts, leading someone to believe that I endorse the product. I will edit my above post to eliminate the word leading to an ad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%