How Can I Get This Dripping Effect??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm by suzylynn58

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a sweet shoppe theme for my son's 1st birthday and I stumbled across this website. . SUCH cute things (of course mine would be boy colors). . . anyway, scroll down to the smash cakes. I would like to do this for his smash cake but I am curious as to how to get the "drip" effect without it dripping all the way to the bottom. See how their's stops half way. .what do I make with that kind of consistency and how do I make sure it doesn't just drip all the way down??

Thanks soooo much!

Here's the site. . . http://www.howdoesshe.com/sweet-shoppe-party-twins-first-birthday

5 replies
rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 10:55am
post #2 of 6

If you look closely, some of the drips on those 2 cakes actually reach the bottom as well. I think with a little practise and quite thick ganache, you can judge how much to spread over the edge. Too cute! I hope it works out well for you.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 11:04am
post #3 of 6

Wait until the ganache thickens until you almost can't pour it and then spread it over the top allowing a little extra to slowly drip down.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 6

This is kind of a "cheater" way, but if you don't already have ganache mixed up, you can get a canned frosting and soften it up in the microwave and get the same effect.

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 18 Nov 2011 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Ya, I noticed that some of it touched the bottom, I guess just poor more towards the edge and some not so close and it should work. . .good idea about letting the ganache set up a bit first.

So what about the second color? Should I just do a white chocolate ganache and color it? Or just make a thin buttercream? Haha. . he may never touch real food again after trying this stuff! LOL

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 6

I actually put mine in a ziplock bag and cut a hole in the corner, so I could control it better than just pouring. Didn't want to waste a decorating bag!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%