Please Help...house Warming Cake

Decorating By NanaSandy Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 1:48am by NanaSandy

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 12

I am looking for some suggestions. Some friends of ours just bought a new home, and I am making a cake for them this weekend. The cake they want has Chocolate Ganache on the outside with no fondant. I am at a loss as to how to do the decorations on this cake? How do I make it look good with the Ganache as the "base" of the outside of the cake? I have used Ganache alot, however, I almost always cover with fondant. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
hema128s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hema128s Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:47am
post #2 of 12

would they be opposed to modeling chocolate? its a little more expensive but you could try filling and crumb coating the cake with whipped ganache and then cover with modeling chocolate just like you would fondant...

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:07am
post #3 of 12

What kind of decoration did you have in mind? I've seen several chocolate ganache cakes that look great with brushed embroidery, luster dusts, sugar flowers... a nice deep chocolate brown is a gorgeous color to work with! Or maybe even though the flavor is different you could do a white chocolate ganache?

NanaSandy Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:18am
post #4 of 12

Unfortunately, never worked with modeling chocolate. ? Been wanting to but a little intimidated by it. icon_cool.gif I was kind of wanting to put a small RKT house on top, but not sure how I would blend that in with a chocolate base? Maybe use some buttercream, for grass? They are not wanting the white chocolate ganache so that won't work. icon_sad.gif Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you ladies! You are the best!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:21am
post #5 of 12

Hmm, is it a square cake or round? How big/tiers?

NanaSandy Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:31am
post #6 of 12

Round cake. Just a single tier. Probably just an 8 inch. There will only be a couple of people there to celebrate. She is inviting a few friends from church, and our Pastor to bless the house. So maybe tie that in somehow? I don't think I have ever been at such a loss as to what to do with a cake. Again, thank you for your input!! icon_smile.gificon_eek.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:43am
post #7 of 12

Hi, i have found the cutest cake. For the size cake you say, this would be great. Make the house,etc. from fondant ahead of time. Place right on cake after icing it. hth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25730355@N03/4452491125/

SammieB Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:08am
post #8 of 12

That is really cute! I actually was getting way too carried away and was thinking maybe do an 8" square cake and make it look like a moving box with packing tape or an address label. I tend to think way too grand sometimes icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:21am
post #10 of 12

I did a very simple but cute house warming cake. It was a 10" round. On the top was a replica of the front doors of the new home with the house number above it. The top and bottom borders were grass with a few flowers here and there and a couple of butterflies. I think grass green would look great against the darker ganache. Under the doors I wrote May God Bless Our Home. It was all very simple and cartoonish. It wasn't elegant, but that's what they wanted. Of course, I didnt take a picture. Because I'm an idiot!

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:32am
post #11 of 12

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/267760_2254113871249_1200363613_32707222_5644865_n.jpg

Mine was similar to this but they were front doors instead of a window.

NanaSandy Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:48am
post #12 of 12

Thank you sooooo much for the links! I am kind of wanting to put a small RKT house on top. Either that or I really like the idea of the mailbox. How do you think they supported that on top of the dowels? I guess that is what those are? After looking thru the pics, I think I have a good idea of what to do. If I can get the upload to work, I will post a pic once I have it done this weekend. I have been having problems uploading pics lately, so no promises. icon_rolleyes.gif But again, thank you everybody for your help! If anybody else has another idea, please let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%