Smbc Question

Baking By Amylou Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 4:16am by Amylou

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 6

Can I prepare the egg white/sugar syrup a day before whipping it and mixing it with butter? I'm thinking it can't be refrigerator-cold when the butter is added, but what if I prepare it the night before, take it out in the morning and let it get to room temp, whip it, then add the butter?

Just wondering if I could save some steps in the morning...

5 replies
Amylou Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:31am
post #3 of 6

I'm almost certain this will not work. You want to heat the eggs and sugar and whip immediately, then cool to room temperature or a bit above while still beating. I think if you cook the eggs and sugar ahead you'll just have a sticky mess.

Why not do the whole thing in advance?. I always keep a vat of SMBC in the cooler and one in the freezer. Saves a lot of time on days when there is a crunch.

But in any case, the whole process doesn't take very long unless it is a huge batch.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:36am
post #4 of 6

I would say no. If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to mix your eggs and sugar together, let it sit overnight then whip it the next day and then add butter later in the day???? If that is your question I would say no. Sugar and eggs should never be left to sit because sugar will "burn" the eggs.

If you are saying you want to whip up the sugar and eggs and it is set up like a meringue then place it in the fridge overnight, take out the next day to rewhip once it's at room temp and then add butter, I would say that I've never heard of this. My concern for you would be that the mixture may weep or deflate. Also, if the temperatures of either are too cold, your butter will not fully incorporate or your egg/sugar mixture may deflate.

If you are trying to save steps or time, I would measure out all the ingredients in advance and make the next morning vs. breaking up the steps. Since SMBC is my go to recipe and I've made it more times than I can count, it can be completed pretty fast. I would say about 15 minutes.

If I'm missing the boat, let me know. Happy baking!

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:38am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake

I'm almost certain this will not work. You want to heat the eggs and sugar and whip immediately, then cool to room temperature or a bit above while still beating. I think if you cook the eggs and sugar ahead you'll just have a sticky mess.

Why not do the whole thing in advance?. I always keep a vat of SMBC in the cooler and one in the freezer. Saves a lot of time on days when there is a crunch.

But in any case, the whole process doesn't take very long unless it is a huge batch.

Ditto!

Amylou Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 4:16am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for the input! I won't chance and will just do the batches all at once.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%