Making Fondant Vs Buying

Decorating By cristi1015 Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 7:00pm by shuswapcakes

cristi1015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristi1015 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 7

How many ppl actually make thier fondant and what are the advantaged of making it. I have herd that store baught fondant is not good.

And buttercream, I purchased a buttercream from a resturant supply warehose store and it is great until i mix colors in it then it gets hard and kinda chunky. what am i doing wrong and can it be fixed once it has gotten to that point???

6 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know anything about purchased buttercream, so I can't help there. As for fondant, I make my own rolled fondant (not mmf). I find that it does taste better, although I have heard that some brands taste good. I like making my own because than I know exactly what is in it. I don't like to buy anything premade because I try to avoid any chemicals and additives. We've had some bad experiences in my house due to chemicals and substitues, so I've worked really hard to eliminate as much as possible.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 7

I make my own rolled fondant with strong vanilla flavour and white chocolate as it's much cheaper (approx. $5/kg) than store bought ($ 15/kg). And much better tasting.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panel7124

I make my own rolled fondant with strong vanilla flavour and white chocolate as it's much cheaper (approx. $5/kg) than store bought ($ 15/kg). And much better tasting.

When do you add the white chocolate to your fondant?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:57am
post #5 of 7

I buy my fondant--generally Satin Ice or FondX--and I pay slightly less than $3/lb. (I buy on sale, at vendor booths, and/or when free shipping is available).

I think that both taste great and that both are a great value for my time. I particularly like having all colors on hand. I also appreciate have a consistent product.

I also keep some Wilton fondant on hand in case I need to stiffen either of the other products and I also like to add tylose to it to create a lovely, white "gum paste". I use my Joann & Michael's coupons to keep that at about $2.50/lb.

Rae

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:07am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panel7124

When do you add the white chocolate to your fondant?

I add 100g/kg just for the hint of taste, didn't try a very 'chocolatey' fondant but will do. 1. Gelatine+water after 5 min goes on the stove, 2. glycerin, 3. glucose, 4. vanilla flavouring, (5. color - if needed), 6. shortening, 7. white chocolate - and don't heat it anymore, let melt, let cool, 8. PS

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 7

I use mostly my own made fondant, just because I like the taste much better. But I do have Sating Ice on hand in red and black. It is nice to have colored fondant when you need it. I've tried Wilton and it tasted horrible, will never do that again. I've also tried store bought buttercream and I found it was really greasy. I'm not sure if it was just the brand that I bought but I really didn't care for it, so I always make my own buttercream too. MMF is really easy to make but sometimes if you're in a pinch and can just reach into a bucket that's way easier too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%