Cleaning Your Airbrush

Decorating By janice76 Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 4:39pm by Kiddiekakes

janice76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janice76 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 8

I am not sure about how to use the kopykake airbrush cleaner solution. Do you just pour that into the cup of the gun and spray? or do you have to disassemble the gun after each use and soak the parts? will water be enough for rinsing? Tried searching but could not find the answer. thank you in advance for your inputs.

7 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 8

At work I mainly use water to clean the airbrush right after I use it. We have an empty color bottle that we just refill with water. Just pour it in the little cup like you would with regular water and spray it into a cup or on a towel. Sometimes if I'm using a really dark color (black/brown) or a pearl spray I'll run some air brush cleaner through it and then rinse with water, but with most other colors I just use water.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 8

Everclear works as a nice cleaner too. icon_smile.gif

I don't take my airbrush apart often. Every now and then you may need to, to clean around the needle, but generally if you don't let it color dry it in, and you clean it out after every use, you should be fine.

I've used water like Rose does. I've also used everclear if I already have it out from mixing dusts with it. And I did buy some airbrush cleaner that I'll run through it every now and then.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 8

Everclear cleans EVERYTHING out! icon_surprised.gif Seriously, I use Everclear (PGA) when I want to airbrush pearl (or other) dusts on a cake, but I normally just run water through it immediately after use to clean it out. I have used PGA before for cleaning, but it didn't seem to do better or worse.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8

When I first took an airbrush class they showed an easy way to clean them out. Have a large open top vessel, bowl or glass or some kind of container and fill it with water. While the air is still on set the brush into this, to over the top of the airbrush bowl. Press the lever down as if you were airbrushing and let the water go through. You will see the color come out and if you used a dark color you may have to use another container of clean water. I found this method works well to clean it out.
evelyn

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 8

I use windex..Yup...fill the sink by my station with hot water...submerse the airbrush for a few seconds will holding down the nozzle..Then I add a few sprays of windex to the cup and do the same thing...You don't need to buy those expensive cleaners...

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 8

whatever you do- make sure you spray cleaner into running water and be prepared to hold your breath. That stuff goes everywhere and smells awful and makes you cough. And then rinse 3-4 times through with water afterwards, wouldn't want it to get into a cake.

Everclear or vodka is a better bet IMHO.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 8

Yeah..everclear or vodka is probably better but since I can't get everclear here in Canada and I don't readliy have vodka on hand... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Someone in the cake world told me about windex but I do agree to rinse it thoroughly... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%