Figure Piping Link ... Really Neat!

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 8 Nov 2011 , 3:33am by mburkett

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 7:46am
post #31 of 38

So I did some researching myself and found these. Has anyone ever used them? It looks like they need to be sourced by a wholesale food distributor.

http://www.instantwhip.com/products.html

http://www.dcbrands.com/desserts.html#cheesecake

Personally I've never tried Bettercreme or Rich's. I bought some of each awhile ago (both are still in my freezer). Honestly, the ingredient list scares me. I'd love to pipe more...that video is amazing. My hat's off to all you pipers out there, you have all the respect in the world from me.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 2:01pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Calling something "whipped cream" and "chantilly cream" in this business means nothing. Everyone calls their icing "buttrcream" when it's made with zero butter and zero cream. People call candy melts "chocolate" when it contains zero real chocolate. Not trying to be argumentative, but I've made lots of traditional whipped cream using heavy whipping cream and sugar, and I've also made lots of chantlly cream using heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar... and I can tell you having eaten lots of cake from Chinese bakeries here that what they call "whipped cream" or "chantilly cream" ain't real whipped cream or chantilly cream. It's some sort of mystery non-dairy product. Tastes great, would hold up in the apocalypse, does not need to be refrigerated, and it can be piped and sculpted into all sorts of stuff.

Given that nearly 90% of the Asian population is lactose intolerant it wouldn't be surprising that they aren't using "real" cream. And given that the North American palate is trained to expect a certain flavor when they eat something cream based it isn't surprising that soy based whipped toppings are not going to taste the same as cream based.

Being mildly lactose intolerant myself, I'd really like to try one of those products. Of course I'd also love to test the 'sculpting' and 'piping' aspects as well. I'm guessing also that these products are nowhere as sweet as buttercream. Can you imagine piping that dragon out of buttercream and someone actually trying to eat it? As a diabetic I can feel my blood sugars rising just thinking about it. lol

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 3:55pm
post #33 of 38

thank you for the links icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 5:14pm
post #34 of 38

Excellent point about dairy - Asian countries don't even have access to those types of products like we do and they are very expensive, so now that makes even more sense on why they use what they use.

I've never noticed Bettercream on the shelves of Cash & Carry before but I was just in there this morning and sure enough, I saw big gallon cartons of it. So now I'm pretty convinced that it is probably what a lot of the Asian bakeries use here.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:14am
post #35 of 38

A while back I made strawberry cupcakes for my girlfriend who is Taiwanese. I used Bettercreme because I knew a real buttercream (even IMBC) would be too sweet and rich for her. She told me the Bettercreme was almost exactly like what they used in her country.

Tina2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina2002 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:47am
post #36 of 38

I am Vietnamese and so amaze all the info that you guys found. Internet nowsaday is so amazing. Anyway, I have been searching all Vietnamese web site to find the secret of this buttercream. So far that I know they use non-dairy whip topping.
This is the web site how to whip the icing (in Vietnamese but there are some pictures so you guys can see)
http://my.opera.com/Andee-chuot/blog/trang-tri-banh-kem-cach-danh-kem-tuoi-topping-cream

I think that RichWhip Non-Dairy Whip Topping can use for this piping technique, but the shipping cost is way too much.

Tina2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina2002 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:49am
post #37 of 38
mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 3:33am
post #38 of 38

Has anyone looked at an Asian grocery store (ie 99 Ranch Market)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%