Vanilla Cake Question.

Baking By cakebakey Updated 30 Oct 2011 , 1:57am by cakebakey

cakebakey Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 7

Can a Vanilla cake made with a hint of Almond extract still be called a Vanilla cake??

6 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 7

I think it would depend on how strong the almond was. It can be a very overpowering flavor. If it's subtle enough that it only adds to the taste, instead of replacing the vanilla, I don't see why not icon_smile.gif

cakebakey Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you CalhounsCakery for the response! Another related question: if Almond and Vanilla extracts are used in the same proportion i.e. 1 tsp Vanilla Extract and 1 tsp Almond Extract in a Yellow Cake what would you call it? Can I still call it Vanilla Cake?

CalhounsCakery Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 7

The almond would definatly overpower the vanilla in those porportions. You wouldn't taste the vanilla anymore. I would start with 1/8 tsp first and taste the batter.

cakebakey Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #5 of 7

I will certainly try that,Thank you! Can I then call the 1:1 Vanilla + Almond, Almond cake? The reason is I have made Yellow cake using that proportion and it tastes super!I just want to give it a technically correct name icon_smile.gif

CalhounsCakery Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:50am
post #6 of 7

I think you would be safe with that icon_smile.gif That does sound good. Maybe with some ground almonds in the batter. Could be really interesting! I'll have to try that.

cakebakey Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #7 of 7

Ground Almonds is a good idea,will definitely try that! Thanks again !! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%