Cake Is Frozen - Now What?

Decorating By agouti Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 5:11pm by littlestruedel

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 9

I froze the layers of a cake and would like to start leveling, frosting, and decorating this weekend. I am not certain what the best schedule for this is. Should I level while they are frozen, then thaw in the fridge or on the counter? Do I wait until they layers are totally thawed before frosting? Having never worked with frozen cakes before, I am a bit nervous. I would very much appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you!

8 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 9

Should have leveled before freezing. I actually frost my cake while frozen, let thaw and then touch up the buttercream if needed. Then cover with fondant and finish decorating.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 9

I work with frozen cakes all the time. Wait until it's thawed to decorate. Levelling is tough with a frozen cake. I usually level and torte when it been in the freezer 30 mins, so it doesn't crumb on me. Then put it back in until I'm ready to work with it. Put parchment paper between the layers so you can get it apart to fill and then let it settle...I let it thaw and settle overnight. HTH!

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the quick response! Should it thaw in the fridge or on the counter?

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 9

Since they are still frozen, I would put in the fridge to defrost then level. However depending on how you level your cakes (i.e. serrated knife, Wilton cake leveler) it could be done frozen if you are able to cut it evenly.

As with Occther, I have frosted some sheet cakes while frozen and find that the cake stays firm for me to move and adjust, BC sets up faster and minimizes crumbs.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 9

I thaw on the counter, as I find the fridge dries my cakes out - we live in a dry climate, though...

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 9

I level my cakes while they are still in the cake pans. Then I remove and wrap them well in plastic wrap and freeze. To thaw your cakes I take them out of the freezer leaving the plastic wrap on and let them thaw on the counter for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before decorating. If you cake is still partially frozen and you are using a crusting butter cream you will end up with condensation and your frosting won't crust so it's best to make sure your cake is completely thawed.

Mimijoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimijoni Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 9

sweettreat101 is so right! I made the mistake of not thawing a cake completely one time. It had a rice paper design on it and it was ruined because the condensation came up under the rice paper design. I was so disappointed!

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 9

I usually level and torte then freeze my cakes. I fill and stack the layers when they are frozen and then crumb coat. Leave it to defrost and settle on the counter for a few hours and then into the fridge until I'm ready to do the final coat in buttercream or cover in fondant. I find it easier to get a smoother edge with IMBC when the cakes are cold because the icing sets up better. I've never had a problem with condensation or air bubbles from covering a cold cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%