Help Please! My Base Cake Cracked

Decorating By karukaru Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 11:36pm by cakegirl1973

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 5

I am baking a 3 tier cake for tomorrow (I rather not rebake the bottom tier.) The base is 12" square, middle tier is 9" round and top tier is 6" round. Each tier has two layers (2 2"cakes with filling in the middle.) I baked a 12" square vanilla Wask and when I flipped it onto 2 wire racks it cracked almost in the middle of the cake ( I dont have a big cooling rack so I had to use 2. Can I patch it up with buttercream and freeze it? This didn't happen with the chocolate layer (my husband helped me so maybe that is why it didn't break) so I think it cracked because I flipped it myself. Would it compromise the integrity of the cake If I patch it up with buttercream, freeze it, crumb coated and cover in fondant? I didn't stack the two layers yet. Thanks!

4 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 5

It shouldn't affect it if your support system is solid.

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

It shouldn't affect it if your support system is solid.

Ok thanks! I am using the Wilton plastic dowels. 1 was planning on using 6 dowels on the 12", and 4 on the 9" is it enough support?

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 5

I would say if it was me it would depend on how far I had to travel with it. I would probably rebake the layer that cracked if it was me though. I am basing that on the fact that the area where I live not only are the roads usually in poor repair, but I also have to deal with some really rude drivers on the road. You never know when you are going to have to slam on the brakes. That is no so much in the little town I live in, but the area I usually have to cover to deliver a cake. So, I would feel more comfortable having solid layers for my bottom tier. Plus it seems to me that when I try to patch up a layer that I end up spending more time patching it up than I would have to have rebaked the layer and started over. It takes me more icing and adds stress and time to the equation. That is just my experiences speaking.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by karukaru

1 was planning on using 6 dowels on the 12", and 4 on the 9" is it enough support?

That should work just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%