Sticking Fondant To Buttercream

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 4:15am by Cupcations

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:52am
post #1 of 6

This is my first time doing a cake covered in just buttercream, then I'm going to decorate it with some fondant flowers. How do I stick the fondant flowers to the buttercream, and will they stay put on the cake? Should i let the icing crust before I put on the flowers? Should I put the cake in the fridge beforehand and afterwards? My customer is picking up the cake tomorrow, but it isn't getting eaten until Saturday, so I want it to look it's best. Thank you everyone!

5 replies
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

Assuming your flowers are not 3-D, I dab a little vanilla extract, whatever flavor the icing is in the back of the fondant and place on the cake. I'm sure some people even use water. They will stay put regardless. You can put them on before or after the crusting. However, I would tend to put them on after the cake sets and crust. Once finished I keep my cakes in the fridge until pick up.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:14am
post #3 of 6

I use clear piping gel or a dab or buttercream.

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 6

Ok great! Thank you!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:39am
post #5 of 6

For flowers I use a dab of buttercream. If your buttercream is more shortening based it should be fine sitting out. Depending on what type flowers you are making refrigeration could cause them to be limp or soft.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:15am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for posting this questions I was about to ask the same thing!!
And of course thanks for all the replies & useful tips thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%