Poll: Underlined Words Advertising In Cc Posts (Pop-Ups)

Lounge By Apti Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 4:26am by snowboarder

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:59am
post #1 of 18

What are your feelings about the new advertising links that pop up when your cursor runs over a green, underlined word in a post/thread?

example: pop up, computer

Heath posted that you can "opt out" by clicking on an underlined word, then clicking on the question mark in the upper corner, then clicking on the instruction to stop the pop-ups. You do have to re-do this each time you clean the cookies on your computer.

17 replies
audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:53am
post #2 of 18

I hate them! Esp. when using a phone to read posts on CC. Thanks for telling me how to disable it.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:04am
post #3 of 18

Thanks for asking. I hate this new way for CC to advertise.

But CC is not a public service and not funded by another agency. They don't charge us a membership fee so I figure they need a way to make money.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 18

thumbsdown.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 18

Oh great!! icon_biggrin.gif I had no idea you could turn that off either. Thanks a bunch!

Oh and obviously I hate I hate it too. LOL

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 18

It's a pain but after I log out of CC I actually go to the where cookies are stored on my computer and delete all those sites that I haven't visited but placed cookies to track my internet behavior. I have a Mac.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 18

You can also get on CC through FireFox and enable an ad blocker. I didn't even know there was an issue with it.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 18

Mine is set up not to allow cookies from 3rd parties and advertisers. Even with that I noticed I still get a lot of cookies planted on my computer. If I put my setting to never allow cookies, you can't log on to CC.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 18

Call me a hater.

mommachris

CCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCupcakez Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 18

i must be crazy because it doesn't really bother me much. I actually didn't even notice it until I saw an earlier thread about it

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you for posting how to disable the ads. I also was very annoyed by them. Not anymore though. Thanks again.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 18

I mentioned this in another thread relating to these ads, but I don't like them because they give others the impression that you are endorsing a specific product without your knowledge, and there is no way to disable the ads in your own posts as seen by others. That's just not right.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 18

I tend to click on the Forums link and choose the link that lets me see the posts since my last visit. There is always a banner at the top. A few weeks ago I found that unlike previously where I could hit the back button once and get back to the list, I was having to hit it 3 or 4 times, because of the ad banner at the top of the page. I use Firefox at home, but at the office, I use IE. So I found an ad blocker that works just like the ad blocker in Firefox.

Go and google AdBlockIE and you can have the banner ads blocked. I've never seen the links that you're referring to in posts, so I think they may also be blocked. I'm again able to use the Back button to go back one page to the list of posts. icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 18

This is not about banner ads. This is about a method of advertizing where random words in forum posts (and, strangely enough, the occasional location under an avatar) appear with a double green underline and if you mouse over that word, an ad pops up.

However, I just tried to find an example and couldn't find one, so CC may have discontinued that kind of advertising.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:50am
post #15 of 18

As soon as I found out how to make them go away I did. Hate them.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:20am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

However, I just tried to find an example and couldn't find one, so CC may have discontinued that kind of advertising.

No they haven't http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-733904.html (not picking that post for any reason in particular beyond it was open in another tab when I was reading this thread)

Really glad to hear there is a way of disabling them!! (not a fan!)

They also advertise random things in a lot of cases as opposed to a product related to the word eg 'friend' was getting an ad for toothpaste/denture glue or something the other day (and possibly here now too)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 12:04am
post #17 of 18

It's bizarre and annoying, but whatever. I don't have to buy anything from them and I don't move my cursor around the post when I'm reading them, so they don't bother me too much. I don't like them, though.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:26am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can also get on CC through FireFox and enable an ad blocker. I didn't even know there was an issue with it.

Yep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%