Edible Cake Topper

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 6:55pm by Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 7

I know GP is edible, but client really wants to EAT the topper (without losing her and husband's teeth icon_lol.gif ). Would fondant with added tylose be strong enough? I thought of using marzipan-fondant mixture but would prefer not to. How to achieve this type of face, also the bike quite worries me...

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/Panel7124/?action=view¤t=Gnomesandbike.jpg

(I know, they are quite disgusting icon_rolleyes.gif but client's wish...)

Anybody could give any advice? I'm deciding if decline this order or not. Thanks a lot!

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

You could try adding tylose to your fondant or a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste. It might be a good idea to make a small figure with one of these to see how hard it gets and how likely it is for the whole topper to keep its shape. On the other hand, you might just have to tell them that you don't always get what you want in life. And yes that is one ugly topper, but I'm sure you can make something lovely out of it!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 7

Fondant with tylose is going to dry hard like gumpaste. It takes longer to get that hard, but I have some figures that done after a week, they are pretty hard.

If you want edible I would go with straight marzipan or modeling chocolate. Both will also give you more working time to create the faces as well.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Texas sugar. Go with modeling chocolate or marzipan. Also, you could use a mold for the bike and make it out of straight chocolate. Just a thought.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7

Now see, that's what happens when you live in a hot, humid place with no AC in the kitchen like I do. I can't really get gumpaste to harden like it should, much less fondant plus whatever! But thanks for the tips about modeling chocolate and almond paste ladies - I'd like to try them sometime to see what they do here.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 7

Have you thought about getting a dehydrator? Those thing work like a charm!

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everybody so much for the replies! I e-mailed the client asking about any type of allergy (nut allergy for marzipan) and gave her a 'nice' price icon_lol.gif . Let's see. Checked my molds but nothing resembling a bike... Don't know about modelling chocolate as I suck at it. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%