Not All Cake Stands Are Created Equal!!!

Decorating By bakemeacakeandmore Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 7:02pm by cathyscakes

bakemeacakeandmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacakeandmore Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 4

I had a wedding cake to do for today and the bride brought me the cake stand she wanted me to use. It was a beautiful silver 20" cake stand a friend of hers had order over the internet.

Yesterday I stacked the four tiers on the cake stand and continued to work on the grooms cake. Last night about 10:00 I was getting ready to put the ribbon around the base of the tiers when I noticed the cake was leaning, so I got my level out and the cake stand bottom had bent under the weight of the cake!! It was leaning so bad all I needed to do was add windows and columns for it be the perfect Leaning Tower of Pisa!!

Luckily, I keep cake stands on hand. So, at 10:00 last night I had to take the cake completely apart to move it to a stronger stand. Of course that meant reicing the entire cake because of the cracks in the icing from taking it apart icon_sad.gif

I always have the bride bring me the cake stand the day before the wedding so I can make sure it will work, and that stand looked like it would work. Guess I need to start doing a weight test to make sure they hold up to the weight of some of these cakes!!

What could have been a real disaster turned out to be a beautiful cake!! So glad I noticed it last night instead of this morning icon_smile.gif

Just wanted everyone to beware of the cake stands you are putting your masterpieces on. It would be ashame to put all those long hard hours in your work for the cake stand to collapse. Hope this helps to avoid that ever happening to you!!

3 replies
AmandaPlumveil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPlumveil Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 4

I agree completely lots of cake stands don't have the strength to hold the weight of wedding cakes. That's why our stands at Sarah's Stands are tested to hold three times the weight of a standard cake at each size stand.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with @AmandaPlumveil. I have a stand from Sarah's Stands, and I love it.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 4

I have the silver stand also, it has worked great, but i'm always scared if its over a 3 tiered cake that it will weight too much for those little feet on the bottom. I always get blocking to put under the stand to hold the weight, just a precaution, but it makes me feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%