Unstacking A Stacked Cake

Decorating By SPODN Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 10:49pm by SPODN

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 5

I'm still pretty new to this and need some advise about cutting and serving a stacked cake. I would like to know what others do with their stacked fondant cakes when it is time to serve. My first one I just stacked one layer on top of the other, then when it cake time to serve I tried to seperate the tiers and it was a mess. Then for my second one I put a cardboard cake board under each tier and still had a mess, the cardboard stuck to the fondant on the layer below and pulled it all off. I've read some pretty funny stories from members on this sight about the ups and downs of cutting the cake but I can't tell if that is an issue for me yet because I can't get past seperating them. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 5

Would it work to use a circle of parchment paper between the cake board and the next tier? If you hold the whole thing together with a smear of buttercream on both sides of the parchment paper it shouldn't slide. Then you could more easily lift the top tier on its board off of the parchment circle and peel the parchment circle off of the lower tier without damaging that tier. HTH

Saulite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saulite Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 5

are you using bubble straws or SPS?
that way your top tier is not really molded into the bottom layer(straws prevent that from happening).
when usisn SPS, you can just take the cardboard that the cake is on off the plate with out any mess

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPODN

My first one I just stacked one layer on top of the other, then when it cake time to serve I tried to seperate the tiers and it was a mess. Then for my second one I put a cardboard cake board under each tier and still had a mess, the cardboard stuck to the fondant on the layer below and pulled it all off.

If you weren't using a cardboard cake board under each tier, were you also not using dowels, straws, or any kind of support system?

Stacked tiers must be supported with a complete internal structure... dowels or pegs without a board/plate is the same thing as using no supports because they just pierce into the cake above, and a board/plate without pegs underneath also does nothing to prevent the lower tier from getting squashed.

Once you've properly supported the weight with a support system for every 4" of cake height, you are also preventing the cakes from sinking/settling into one another to make them easier to separate. For added help to prevent icing from sticking to the board, you can use a circle of waxed paper or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advise. I use bubble straws, I'm not a professional just the family baker and although SPS looks awsome it is out of my league. I will try the parchment or waxed paper on the next one that sounds like it might work. A friend who works with fondant said she puts a little butter cream between the layers but that doesn't feel like it would stop the sticking. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%