Vanilla Bean Paste Questions

Baking By tsal Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 5:48pm by SammieB

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:09am
post #1 of 11

I just bought some high-quality vanilla bean paste and would like to use it to flavor my SMBC (hoping to eliminate any "I can taste the butter" comments which I only get with my vanilla smbc). I usually use high-quality vanilla extract to flavor it. I'm not sure how much vanilla bean paste to add. My SMBC recipe call for 6 sticks of butter, 2.25 cups of sugar, and 1.5 cups of egg whites.

How much should I put in?

Also, is there a way to easily make vanilla bean paste? A small bottle cost me $22!!!

10 replies
MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 11

I believe you would use the same amount of the paste as you would of the extract.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 11

Just dump it in until it looks right. I can't remember the last time I ever actually measured vanilla extract or paste. I'm sure I use 5 x what a recipe actually calls for. And it's delicious.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

I believe you would use the same amount of the paste as you would of the extract.

I agree. If you still want a more decadent vanilla flavor, wait a while and add a little more of the paste. With time the flavor blooms, so add in small increments.

Kat

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 11

From what I understand, the paste still has some of the seeds from the bean in it, so you will get little black flecks in your SMBC. Just something to keep in mind. Maybe it's brand specific.

Also, there was a thread on here just a couple of weeks ago about making your own paste. I'm looking into it right now actually. From what I found online you basically make a simply syrup and soak your vanilla beans/seeds in it the same way that you would make extract, though one website I saw said it was equal parts vodka and simple syrup. I'm probably going to try to make some myself here in the next week using the mixture of vodka/syrup. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 11

Not sure what brand you bought. The one I usually get (Nielsen) is the same amount as extract. I use a lot of it on top of the vanilla extract, but I know it's expensive. I have a friend in NZ who told me her vanilla paste is a real paste, with ground beans and all, so that other one is 1/4 tsp per 1 teaspoon of extract. I know you're in Canada, so I'm not sure what you have.

We have discussed making vanilla bean paste at this threads.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7209022&sid=3e530718723a5af753ec192e5f705dd0

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7215214.html

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks, everyone!

I will have to examine the paste carefully before adding it to my SMBC. Black flecks = not good!

mariacakestoo Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 11

Lol..black flecks are GOOD thing, what are you talking about? Those are the vanilla seeds. Those are very desirable. Maybe not to everyone I suppose, but I show people just how chock full of vanilla my icing is, and that always draws some oohs and ahs!

mariacakestoo Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 11

Now, yes, a perfectly white icing is desirable sometimes, but sometimes, oh those seeds take center stage!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 11

I am with mariacakestoo. People usually love the black flecks. And I also don't measure the stuff anymore...just keep on adding it, lol.

Of course it depends on what you're trying to achieve. There was someone here who always made sure they were on her cakes, but I would understand if you don't want them. They're subtle but they're there.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1262698

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 11

I wasn't saying they were bad, just something to keep in mind, mostly if someone wanted a white icing. You se how crazy some bridezillas can be about the most inane thing. Jus something to educate people on is all. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%