Gumpaste Cake Topper Numbers

Decorating By clgcakes Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 2:23am by clgcakes

clgcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clgcakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 5

Help!! have been trying to do a number made out of fondant and gumpaste but it does not seem to get hard enought to place as a cake topper? Any tutorials or tips please!!

4 replies
cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 5

You have to allow plenty of time for gumpaste to dry and harden completely, days in fact. Fondant will harden faster than gumpaste. Try adding Tylose to either one, it will help it harden. But the best and fastest way I've found to harden fondant or gumpaste is to place it on a cooling rack and put it the oven with the light on. Many piece will harden in a matter of hours. Make sure you don't cut the oven on.

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

Hi ~ If you are using straight fondant then it will take a LONG time to harden up enough to use as a number on top of a cake. (A week, probably more). Gumpaste is faster, but it still takes days to get solid. And of course it all depends on how thick you are making the number/s.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 5

Wilton gumpaste usually hardens enough in 24 hours. To me always works incredibly well. (I'm making number 3 pink topper of it at the moment icon_smile.gif )

clgcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clgcakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

Thank you much everyone! I need it for saturday so I will make it tomorrow and hope it drys by then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%