Quickest Way To Bake A Rainbow Cake.

Baking By LoriMc Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 9:46pm by FullHouse

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 12

Someone asked me to do a stacked My Little Pony cake that is rainbow colored on the inside. Do I have to bake each layer seperately? Has anyone tried layering all the colors of batter in the pan and baking? Thanks in advance!

11 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 12

I tried layering it in the pan, they ended up mixing together not like color mixing just overlapping if that makes sense :/. Here's a pic (hope you can see it )

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=177357738949942&set=a.173408979344818.38970.100000271514564&type=3&theater

HTH

LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

I tried layering it in the pan, they ended up mixing together not like color mixing just overlapping if that makes sense :/. Here's a pic (hope you can see it )

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=177357738949942&set=a.173408979344818.38970.100000271514564&type=3&theater

HTH

Thanks. Facebook won't let me see the picture though. UGH!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:

Yay!! Thanks!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 12

I found that layering one color over another works really well if you freeze each color of batter after you put it in the pan, just for a few min. is enough. I layered my colors between 2 pans, so it worked like this:

Color batter red, spread in pan, put pan in freezer
Color batter purple, spread in 2nd pan, put that pan in freezer
Color batter orange, remove red pan from freezer and spread in orange batter, return to freezer;
Color batter blue, remove purple from freezer, spread blue, return to freezer
Color batter yellow, remove red/orange from freezer, spread yellow
Color batter green, remove purple/blue from freezer, spread green.
Bake.

When I spread, I did so carefully, using a pancake batter dispenser (could also just load a decorating bag with a coupler only, careful not to spill out opening). Or you can just layer by spreading gently with your offset spatula.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Quote:

HTH

Sorry it should work now thumbs_up.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 12

I've made them both ways. By baking separately and layering, even with a very thin coat of BC in between each my cake was over 7 inches high! I had to take it apart and slice away a bit from each layer - that was a mess! I also tried layering in the pan but didn't freeze the batter. The colours merged together and created more of a tie dye effect even though I used a bag and coupler to put the next colour on. I would definitely try freezing each layer of batter next time!

LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Quote:

HTH

Sorry it should work now thumbs_up.gif

I think that looks great!

LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I've made them both ways. By baking separately and layering, even with a very thin coat of BC in between each my cake was over 7 inches high! I had to take it apart and slice away a bit from each layer - that was a mess! I also tried layering in the pan but didn't freeze the batter. The colours merged together and created more of a tie dye effect even though I used a bag and coupler to put the next colour on. I would definitely try freezing each layer of batter next time!

The height was one of my worries, especially since this is going to be a two tiered cake. That's it. I'm layering the batter.

Thanks for all the help guys!

LoriMc Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I found that layering one color over another works really well if you freeze each color of batter after you put it in the pan, just for a few min. is enough. I layered my colors between 2 pans, so it worked like this:

Color batter red, spread in pan, put pan in freezer
Color batter purple, spread in 2nd pan, put that pan in freezer
Color batter orange, remove red pan from freezer and spread in orange batter, return to freezer;
Color batter blue, remove purple from freezer, spread blue, return to freezer
Color batter yellow, remove red/orange from freezer, spread yellow
Color batter green, remove purple/blue from freezer, spread green.
Bake.

When I spread, I did so carefully, using a pancake batter dispenser (could also just load a decorating bag with a coupler only, careful not to spill out opening). Or you can just layer by spreading gently with your offset spatula.

I'm definitely doing it this way. Thanks so much!!!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 12

Also, make sure that whatever color is on top (ie, yellow & green), you use a bit more than 1/3 because when you level your cakes some of that will come off. Best use bake even strips to help prevent too much of a dome, then press top down with cake board as soon as you pull it out from the oven, leveling will be minimal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%