I'm Hoping Someone Can Answer This Dowel Question Soon

Decorating By debbs0723 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 6:14pm by cakegirl1973

debbs0723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbs0723 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Everybody,
I have a dowel question. A customer is picking up this cake this afternoon that is attached. Normally I never let a cake leave the house that is not doweled through the middle. (They are very well doweled on the bottom layer). This one is just so pretty and perfect at the top I don't want to ruin it. It seems like the ribbons are all really holding it together.

Is it a bad idea to let it leave the house without the center dowel?

Thanks so much,
Debbie

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 6

How many tiers is it? If it's only two and they're pretty small I think you will be fine. A center dowel really doesn't serve any purpose anyway. Unless your cake is made of concrete if it slides it will tear through the center dowel.

I usually use SPS but when I can't I use either the fat smoothie straws from Panera or the Wilton hollow plastic dowels. If it's a two tier I don't use a center dowel. Actually, I have never used a center dowel in my life.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 6

I only use a centerdowel if the cake is very tall and skinny... Otherwise I skip it.
I just make sure I have buttercream between the layers so nothing slides.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 6

As long as the cake is refrigerated until it leaves you it should be fine.

debbs0723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbs0723 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Everybody. Thanks for the help.

It is not refrigerated because it is MMF. I do not have frosting between the layers but that ribbon that is round the two layers is all fondant and also seems to be holding them somewhat together. It is only two tiers. I've never had one leave the house without a dowel so it is scary.

I'm having issues adding the attachment but basically it is two tiered all MMF cake. Between the two tiers is a 3 layer fondant ribbon with bow that seems to be holding it all together. It will be travelling about 20 miles.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbs0723

Hi Everybody. Thanks for the help.

It is not refrigerated because it is MMF. I do not have frosting between the layers but that ribbon that is round the two layers is all fondant and also seems to be holding them somewhat together. It is only two tiers. I've never had one leave the house without a dowel so it is scary.

I'm having issues adding the attachment but basically it is two tiered all MMF cake. Between the two tiers is a 3 layer fondant ribbon with bow that seems to be holding it all together. It will be travelling about 20 miles.

I've done it before, several times, and I haven't had any problems. It can be done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%