How To Make Grey Mm Fondant...

Decorating By cathyrose Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 1:57am by cathyrose

cathyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyrose Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

so i made mm fondant and before storing it i added in some black so i can make GREY fondant.. the consistancy was perfect however, instead of the fondant turning grey it turned PURPLE.. this turned out a disaster thank god it was a trial run... but the real deal is coming up and i need any advice i can get.. thanks for any info u can pass on to me

7 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:36am
post #2 of 8

What brand of color did you use? I find americolor usually doesn't turn purple

cathyrose Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

oh.. i am just starting out... i will look for that , i used the wilton gel black color

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:05am
post #4 of 8

If your gel colors are old, the resulting colors can be off too. But I'd use Americolor over Wilton, new or old.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 8

All of my black (Americolor or Ateco) is slightly purple too. Add a little yellow to what you have there and it will turn a nice, true gray.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:35am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

All of my black (Americolor or Ateco) is slightly purple too. Add a little yellow to what you have there and it will turn a nice, true gray.

Yeah, KoryAK is right, it happened to me yesterday with Wilton black (XBOX 360 and controller cake). Luckily I've read a post on CC recently about black turning purple and about adding a touch of yellow!! What a great site is this with so many wonderful and helpful people on here!

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:54am
post #7 of 8

icon_smile.gif

cathyrose Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #8 of 8

thanks so much .. i will def try the yellow, cause my wilton colors r "new" ... but when they r done i def gona try the americolor i have heard great feedback on them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%