How To Make Grey Mm Fondant...

Decorating By cathyrose Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 1:57am by cathyrose

cathyrose Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:26am
post #1 of 8

so i made mm fondant and before storing it i added in some black so i can make GREY fondant.. the consistancy was perfect however, instead of the fondant turning grey it turned PURPLE.. this turned out a disaster thank god it was a trial run... but the real deal is coming up and i need any advice i can get.. thanks for any info u can pass on to me

7 replies
rharris524 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:36am
post #2 of 8

What brand of color did you use? I find americolor usually doesn't turn purple

cathyrose Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

oh.. i am just starting out... i will look for that , i used the wilton gel black color

deuceofcakes Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:05am
post #4 of 8

If your gel colors are old, the resulting colors can be off too. But I'd use Americolor over Wilton, new or old.

KoryAK Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 8

All of my black (Americolor or Ateco) is slightly purple too. Add a little yellow to what you have there and it will turn a nice, true gray.

Panel7124 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:35am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

All of my black (Americolor or Ateco) is slightly purple too. Add a little yellow to what you have there and it will turn a nice, true gray.

Yeah, KoryAK is right, it happened to me yesterday with Wilton black (XBOX 360 and controller cake). Luckily I've read a post on CC recently about black turning purple and about adding a touch of yellow!! What a great site is this with so many wonderful and helpful people on here!

josefina20 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 7:54am
post #7 of 8

icon_smile.gif

cathyrose Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #8 of 8

thanks so much .. i will def try the yellow, cause my wilton colors r "new" ... but when they r done i def gona try the americolor i have heard great feedback on them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%