Fondant Questions

Decorating By experimenting Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 6:13pm by experimenting

experimenting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
experimenting Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 9

I've just started experimenting with fondant and have some quesitons:

Does everyone preference a particular type of cake to put beneath their fondant? A stiffer/sturdier/ cake? Or does everyone just refrigerate or freeze before and after applying their frosting? I've had trouble with my cake being too soft and crumbling or falling apart along the edges.

Does everyone preference a particular type of frosting under their fondant? Is buttercream the best to use? Does it need to be a crusting buttercream? What about other frostings, such as whipped cream or cream cheese? I've read these can be made to crust as well, but is it best to use a frosting that doesn't need to be refrigerated since you don't want to refrigerate the fondant?

I've only working with Wilton's fondant so far. My son hates it. Do you prefer a different brand?

I plan on trying to make my own marshmallow fondant as I've heard this tastes better. Is it more difficult to work with? Softer?

Any tips would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

8 replies
Rennay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rennay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:26am
post #2 of 9

I like using any type of cake, usually though if I am covering it with fondant I decrease the liquid amount used to make the cake by about a quarter cup. I haven't had any problems with it drying out since the fondant keeps all of the moisture in.

I like using buttercream under my fondant just because it's a little thicker and the fondant seems to stick better.

I have to agree with your son on the Wilton brand fondant. But if you are just starting out it's your best bet for playing around with since it's a little more stiff than the others I have tried, and it's cheaper if you mess us. But it does taste quite awful. I used to never eat my cakes when I made them with the Wilton fondant. I currently use Satin Ice fondant, but it is a lot more expensive... as far as taste goes it's worth it though. I also find it easier to work with since it's a little more pliable. Another easy to find brand that I like better than Wilton, but is less expensive is the Duff brand that they carry at Michael's Craft stores.

I have never tried making my own MMF... everything I've heard about it being tough and a lot of work had kept me away for now. But I have also heard that it tastes much better and everyone I have met that has used/eaten it likes it better. If you do try it I would love to hear how it goes.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennay

I have never tried making my own MMF... everything I've heard about it being tough and a lot of work had kept me away for now. But I have also heard that it tastes much better and everyone I have met that has used/eaten it likes it better. If you do try it I would love to hear how it goes.

I just made MMF for the first time 10 minutes ago. It was VERY easy. Just make sure you coat your bowls with shortening.

This is the recipe I used: http://cakecentral.com/articles/105/mmf-how-to-decorate-cake-marshmallow-fondant

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:48am
post #4 of 9

As far as homemade fondant goes, you will probably find us divided into two camps: those who swear by MMF (Marshmallow fondant) or MFF (Michelle Foster's Fondant). Having tried Wilton's (a big huge YUK thumbsdown.giftapedshut.gif) Satin Ice and MMF, I find myself firmly planted in the MFF side. The recipe is found here in the recipe section and it is really easy to make. It is creamy and delicious and I always add a cup of white chocolate which not only adds to the flavor, but makes it extremely workable. I routinely add Lorann's cheesecake flavor, but it accepts other flavors well.

I never have to worry about ordering expensive mail order, or taking a long trip in to town for fondant. I have converted many a "fondant hater" once they agree to at least taste it before preemtively pulling it off.

I quit crumb coating with BC a long time ago when I discovered ganache. It makes a perfect, delicious and smooth foundation before applying fondant.

Oh my gosh, I am beginning to make myself hungry. I am working on a cake for delivery tomorrow and if I keep this up, I might just not have anything to deliver!

Jan

Rennay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rennay Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for all that info Jan I think I might just have to give it a go now.

you're making me hungry too icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:13am
post #6 of 9

You're welcome. I believe there are a couple of versions in the recipe section. The most recent, and the one I use, uses 2 Tbs. of the glycerine, butter and gelatin and I melt the chocolate in with the corn syrup, etc. I have never had it fail, just be sure to wait until the mixture is lukewarm, (98-105 degrees F.) before incorporating it into the sugar. It is hard sometimes for me to wait.

Good luck. I am surely sold on it, as you can no doubt tell!

Jan

lovecakes52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovecakes52 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9

I will agree with Jan!!! When I first started out I used the Wilton Fondant, it is good to work with but nasty in taste. I have used Duff Fondant before it has a good flavor to it and is easy to work with. I have also tried the Satin Ice but I didn't like it at all, the taste isn't bad but I had alot of trouble with it drying to quickly and cracking..... Then I decided, I wanted to try and make my own since fondant can be very expensive....Well, I give kudos to Michele Fosters fondant and it is delicious! You must try it and it is so easy to make and very workable. You can find it under the recipe section.

Good Luck hth!!! Oh I use buttercream under my fondant,but make sure it is smooth on your cake before applying the fondant.

P.S. Thanks Jan for the tip on adding white chocolate, I will have to try that!!!!

experimenting Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for the responses everyone!

Rennay: thanks for the tip on decreasing the liquid amt. in the cake. I'll try that icon_smile.gif

I made my first small batch of MMF the other day but haven't used it yet. I will try to use it tonight or tomorrow and will report bac icon_smile.gif

Jan: thanks for the info and link on MFF and the tip on adding white chocolate. I will try that next.

Can anyone answer another question on MMF:
Unlike regular fondant, MMF is kept in the fridge?
Do you also keep a MMF covered cake in the fridge? It doesn't run the risk of "sweating" like regular fondant?

experimenting Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 9

(I just posted this reply on my other thread, but thought I'd put it here too icon_smile.gif
Ok, so I made 2 batches of marshmallow fondant - colored one, the second I added melted chocolate. I covered a cake with the second batch and it worked great! I don't know if the melted chocolate made the difference as I did not use the first batch to cover the cake, but to make some ruffles and a flower. I'm not seeing an option to attach a picture to this post but I posted a picture of it on my profile - it is the purple-white ruffle cake. I've only worked with one other fondant and that's the Wilton store bought stuff. This mmf definitely wins the taste test hands down and was only a tad harder to work with, but only a tad. I am very very new to all of this (I started decorating about 2 months ago) so I'm open to trying other mediums as I know everyone has their preferences and I just have to find mine icon_smile.gif
Oh, I also made a purse cake out of modeling chocolate I made - posted on my profile. I covered the cake with the mod choc in panels because I thought it might be a great deal harder to cover it like I did the ruffle cake in mod choc because of the odd shape, but please correct me if that assumption is wrong. Luckily, the design (my niece's zhu zhu purse) covered up this technique :/
Thanks again for the responses and advice! I will continue with the experiments icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%