Quick Response - Fondant For Square Or Rectangle Cakes

Decorating By Panel7124 Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 3:53pm by Panel7124

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 8

Not a serious problem but annoying. What's the best way to roll out fondant for these cakes? I always end up with a circle and don't like large off-cuts... Thanks for your suggestions.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 8

Well, just focus more on rolling north-south and then east-west and not on the diagonal. You can always trim the circle into a rectangle/square before you put it on the cake.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 8

Or just keep it as a circle... it will cover just fine in any shape. Do the corners first and then the sides. I try to roll it into a square-ish shape, but it always wants to round out and I just don't fight it anymore. It honestly makes no difference.

icon_biggrin.gif

Panel7124 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your responses. Yeah, I tried N-S, E-W (the corners were thinner), cutting a rectangle before covering the cake, gave up covering with circle......... just wanted to know if somebody had some special trick. I usually end up with a circle thinking it's large enough to find it then too short on the corners icon_biggrin.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 8

Yes... rolling it large enough is key. I say if you think you have enough... roll some more... LOL!

icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 8

This might be self evident, but I pat and knuckle mine into an approximate square or rectangle shape on the mat before I begin rolling. Then with a N-S, E-W pattern I can generally keep the shape without the corners thinning too much. I also use The Mat which I find gives me more control without the fondant drying or picking up unwanted PS.

Jan

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panel7124

Thanks for your responses. Yeah, I tried N-S, E-W (the corners were thinner), cutting a rectangle before covering the cake, gave up covering with circle......... just wanted to know if somebody had some special trick. I usually end up with a circle thinking it's large enough to find it then too short on the corners icon_biggrin.gif

This is the best way as the previous person said and if it's going a little out of shape is to nudge it back in with the palms of your hands and start rolling again. If you're struggling with thinner corners etc maybe try using some fondant spacers or the ones that you can put on the ends of your rolling pin. That way it will be an even thickness and you can just concentrate on getting the shape you want HTH

Panel7124 Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 8

You are all really helpful, thanks! I don't know what happened to all those clients that usually wanted round cakes... lately everybody wants only square or rectangle ones. icon_rolleyes.gif Don't get me wrong - I love ALL cakes ... but I'm not eager to roll the fondant for them.

Jan, I also usually start with a beautifully formed 'brick' of fondant but end up with... a circle icon_lol.gif It is really not a great issue to me, only wanted to know how you all manage to do it. At least coming Halloween orders are all round cakes, thanks God.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%