Anyone Use Lorann's Buttery Sweet Dough Emulsion?

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 3:06pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 9

I have a bottle of this but I've never used it. If I wanted to add it to a BC cake mix, how much would I add? Also, does this stuff expire? I've had it for about a year. I did open it to see what it smelled like.

Annie

8 replies
ABingtheBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ABingtheBaker Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 9

I have the buttery sweet dough emulsion, but have only used it in cookies. I also have the butter vanilla and I usually use about 1 teaspoon. My bottles have varying dates on them even though I purchased all of them in July. Some say 2012 and some 2013, so I think they may be good for about a year or two. HTH.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks so much! I appreciate the tip!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 9

How does this stuff taste?

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 9

No clue. If you go to kingarthurflour.com and search for it, it has glowing reviews. I have used the vanilla butter emulsion and it was good. The stuff stinks but it doesn't taste that way in whatever you put it in. Emulsions don't have alcohol so they tend to be a little stronger. I just saw it in my spice cabinet the other day and thought I'd give it a try.

aandkidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandkidz Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 9

My daughter says it tastes like skittles!!!

I think it is good. Esp if you want a nice rich buttery taste. If you have a big batter I usually add 2 tbs if I want that extra...UMPH. But I do believe they have the measurements to use on bottle. I believe it would be same measurements for regular extract.

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

Ok thanks! I wasn't sure if it was on the bottle or not. I know emulsions are stronger than extracts so I wasn't sure if the amount was the same.

Thanks again!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 9

I add it to sugar cookies and cinnamon rolls. It's really good.

I didn't like the butter vanilla as much...I found that one at Ross for $2.99 so I tried it, but it tasted very artificial to me.

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 9

Texas, I used the butter vanilla in buttercream and honestly I didn't notice a difference. I can't remember whether or not I tried it in cake batter.

I have some cupcakes to do for this weekend so we'll see what happens!

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%