So How Does One Use This..very Hard And Brittle

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm by mariacakestoo

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 6

Okay...so I bought a large 6x12 crocodile impression mat to use on my T-Rex cake in November...When it came it is a hard plastic sheet.How the heck do I try and press this large awkward sheet onto the cake to leave the impression..I already know that you roll the fondant/gumpaste on the sheet first but this method has never worked for me..I always end up smoothing the pattern away trying to get the fondant into the grooves...

So..I ask..what is one to do?? icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif I am almost cosidering cutting it up.... icon_lol.gif What I wanted was a soft/plyable silicone mat..Is there such a thing...

Laurel icon_smile.gif

5 replies
littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 6

I was watching Fabulous Cakes yesterday and the one decorater was doing a large Triceratops that had been covered in modelling chocolate. She used a peice of tectured scrapbooking paper that she just cut a small part of (It had swirls and dots and she just wanted to use the dots), and then for his frill, she cut up one of the hard plastic texture mats into what looked like a 1x1" square and pressed it all over.

I agree, I can never roll my fondant onto the mat and then cover the object, I always end up losing most of the pattern!

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 6

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who hates that application....I may have to check out the scrapbooking aisle...Thanks!!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 6

Cut it up. Works great.

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 6

Really Maria...even though it is stiff....

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

Oh it's the realllllly stiff ones, I'm sorry. Ok, hot knife cut it. I don't know what else you can do. That's what I would do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%