To Cake Or Not To Cake

Decorating By mamapastel Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 3:10pm by mamapastel

mamapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamapastel Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 3

I really love to bake and decorate cakes. my problem is getting people to order cakes from me. I was told I priced right, and my work is ok, but when someone calls about a cake and I tell them what I charge, I never hear back from them! I have even drawn up cake designs and still no orders! It is so frustrating! I have even considered going down on my pricing, but I still dont see how its ok to charge LESS than my local grocer for something that I make from scratch. People just dont get that they are paying you to make the cake! I do get orders for smaller cakes that I make on the weekends all the time. I would just like to be making larger specialty and wedding cakes! I almost feel like just quitting everything! Its really hard. Sorry I just had to vent! Oh yeah, by the way do you charge the same for a regular cake than for a wedding cake, or does it just depend on the work and time?

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 3

You may want to consider aiming your advertising efforts at a different target market with more affluent customers, and increasing your prices. What is your current marketing strategy?

We have a flat starting price for single tier cakes (in the $2.50-$3/serving range), and our multi-tier cakes start at $5-6/serving.

FYI some states have cottage food laws that allow you to legally sell food made from home, but other states require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen if you accept compensation for cakes. I don't believe KS has a cottage food law so that might be something to look into if you bake from home.

mamapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamapastel Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 3

My pricing is $2.50 bc and $3.50 fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%