When To Assemble The Cake?

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 3:27pm by littlestruedel

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,
a follow up to my buttercream question,

I have a wedding of a friend saturday afternoon,
Im making a buttercream 3 tier cake, however tiers wont be assembled until i arrive at venue.
This is my first all buttercream cake -(only made fondant ones before)
Anyway, in order to have time to perfect the lines and allow for any disasters
Id like to assemble the cake (put to gether layers and ice )Thurs night and then keep chilled in fridge until i leave on saturday.
My question is will the cake loose any of its flavor or moistness if i do this?
My cakes are already baked and frozen and i was going to pre make all the buttercream on weds night.

Thanks for any advice

Brian

3 replies
littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 4

For a Saturday cake, I usually stack and fill the layers on Thursday so that they have time to settle, then ice, cover in fondant and decorate on Friday.

I always try and finish the cake the day before they are due so that I have some time to fix any emergencies that may arise.

I always get compliments on how moist and tasty my cakes are, so I don't think assembling early is causing any problems.

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 4

Also while im at it, i am attatching some gumpaste flowers to the ledges of the tiers, the wires are covered in floral tape and will be going into straws.
I want to add something else to glue them into place - i assume royal icing is out because of the buttercream, so im guessing either a stiff buttercream or piping gel?
any advisce?

thanks

Brian

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 4

I've not used gumpaste flowers on buttercream, but when using fondant decorations on buttercream, I have just used a bit of the buttercream on the back of the decoration and pushed gently into the cake. If you are inserting the stems into straws that are in the cake, I would think that would be fairly secure, but hopefully someone can officially confirm that for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%