Cost Cutting

Decorating By JMB76 Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 6:29pm by QTCakes1

JMB76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMB76 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hey all, I need some help. I've been baking from home for awhile now but need to cut costs so that I can charge less, the cost of butter and chocolate are killing me!! Where do y'all buy your supplies? I'm in a small town but have access to a large city.
Thanks for your ideas!

8 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 9

the only things that come to mind are to catch it on sale and stock up or buy in bulk.

Just curious why do you want to charge less

BakeMyDay1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeMyDay1 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 9

I found that you can get things a little cheaper at a warehouse store like BJ's or Sam's Club. Of course you have to pay the membership fee, unless you have a friend that already has a membership, and is willing to go along to the store with you. Also check to see if you have a restaurant supply store in your area. And..... check with a fraternity cook at a local college, they often order in bulk and may be willing to sell to you at cost. ( I know, I was a frat cook for 14 years). And.. who does your local bakery order from? They may be willing to give you the name of their supplier. Good Luck to you!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 9

My response would be the same as the previous post: search your area for the local restaurant supply store, paper supply store, and bulk food distributor.

Then, once you've found those resources, keep your prices where they are! icon_wink.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 9

If you can cut costs, I don't think you should charge less. I don't know what you charge, but with the very random price hikes, it's nice to have wiggle room.

JMB76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMB76 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

I do shop at Sams, I just live in a smaller community and when people see that a cake costs $20 and up they freak out! They prefer to go to Walmart (ugh and big ick) and get something there. I'm trying to get my business to be more regular so other than seeking out businesses in the area, which I am doing, I thought maybe if I charged less it would help. I'm waiting to be licensed so I'm hoping that once that happens, I can get out more.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB76

I do shop at Sams, I just live in a smaller community and when people see that a cake costs $20 and up they freak out! They prefer to go to Walmart (ugh and big ick) and get something there. I'm trying to get my business to be more regular so other than seeking out businesses in the area, which I am doing, I thought maybe if I charged less it would help. I'm waiting to be licensed so I'm hoping that once that happens, I can get out more.

If $20 cake is what they freak out about and they end up buying at Walmart, then obviously taste is the last thing on their minds. So buy cheap stuff and make cheap cakes. Otherwise you'll have a bunch customers who expect top quality along with cheap prices and the only one who will be losing is you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 9

Aldi. Frequently less expensive than my wholesalers or the "clubs."

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 9

[quote="carmijok"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB76

If $20 cake is what they freak out about and they end up buying at Walmart, then obviously taste is the last thing on their minds. So buy cheap stuff and make cheap cakes. Otherwise you'll have a bunch customers who expect top quality along with cheap prices and the only one who will be losing is you.

Spot on! There is no cake I can make for $20 bucks and make money, not even a 6"! I don't want to get just double back on my supplies, but get paid for my labor as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%