Airbrush Paint Doesnt Dry!

Decorating By Steph1217 Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 1:55am by Steph1217

Steph1217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph1217 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 10

So I airbrushed a cake this weekend and it sat for 3 or 4 days and it was STILL wet!! WTH I aribrushed it on a mmf covered cake! This is the 3rd cake Ive airbrushed and it always stays wet! Am I doing something wrong??

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 10

Is it really humid in your house? Was your cake cold or frozen? Are you putting a super thick coat on at one time?

What airbrush color are you using for it?

Steph1217 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 10

Wan't humid, cake was taken out of the refridgerater, maybe an hour inbetween taking it out and spraying it! I used americolor paint! It was a little thick (Covered entire cake) but i still would think after 4 days it would be dry!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 10

There must be some sort of humidity as it will dry if the air quality is dry.Also if you sprayed heavy coats that can contribute to it as well.Try putting a fan on it far enough away as to not blow dust etc but enough to give it a breeze.I use americolor all the time and the only time it did that to me and appeared wet was this summer on a very hot humid day...I put it downstairs in my basement for a few hours and it started to dry out.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 10

Question: Are you allowing each coat to dry before applying more? If you just spray & spray to get to the color you want in one spray...it will stay wet. Gotta use it little at a time.

Hope That Makes Sense

Steph1217 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 1:23am
post #6 of 10

Yes that does!! Thank you guys will definitely try these suggestions next time!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:05am
post #7 of 10

WOW! I have never heard of that before! I spray heavy coats often (I have no patience) and it always dries! I use the "starter set" from ChefMaster but it is running out.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 3:26am
post #8 of 10

i would think if taking the cake after refrigerating it that the condensation would cause the MMF to become sticky...but after that long it seems kinda weird :p

sabrosita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabrosita Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 8:26am
post #9 of 10

Could you try airbrushing a thin layer of vodka to help dry it out?

Steph1217 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:55am
post #10 of 10

Oooh! I didn't think of the vodka good Idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%