Stacking 1/2 Sheet Cakes

Decorating By LoverOfSweets Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm by cheatize

LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:38am
post #1 of 7

I got a request to stack two 1/2 sheet cakes to create a 4" deep cake. I have never stacked a 1/2 sheet cake before (I have torted and filled, but never stacked). My question is do I need to do anything to prevent the cake from sinking in the middle or should it be ok?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:07am
post #2 of 7

Why would the cake sink in the middle? When you stacked the torted layers previously did that cake sink in the middle? Is there some unusual weight in the middle of the cake?

LoverOfSweets Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 7

I don't know.I suppose now that I really think about it, it would not be any different than doing a 16 inch cake. icon_redface.gif I just have never had anyone request that I stack a sheet cake.

No, I have never had any sheet cakes sink in the middle. I gues this was just one of those brain freeze moments.

Thanks for the reply.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 7

I stack 3 layers of 1/2 sheet cake all the time, and I never had an issue. Sometimes I have to build up the corners so they dont sag and round, so I stick extra cake scraps under each corner. Thats about it!

LoverOfSweets Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

I stack 3 layers of 1/2 sheet cake all the time, and I never had an issue. Sometimes I have to build up the corners so they dont sag and round, so I stick extra cake scraps under each corner. Thats about it!

Thanks! Great idea about the corners. I will keep my eye out to see if I need to add scraps with the 2 layers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 7

I notice that people get nervous about stacking two layers of large cakes but it's no different than stacking two layers of a 6" round cake. The pressure per square inch is the same.

If you're old enough to remember when waterbeds came out, everyone was afraid they'd crash thru the ceiling and land in their living room because of the weight. But the pressure per square inch on the bedroom floor is less than the pressure/weight your refrigerator puts on your kitchen floor.

People have been making two layer cakes for ever ... you'll be fine. thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with everyone- it will be fine. A little tip: make sure you use a sturdy cake board under it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%