Kahuna Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 1:17pm
post #1 of

Hi! I used isomalt for the first time this weekend to make a diamond for a ring, the effect was pretty cool but there were a million tiny bubbles in it. Should I have tapped the mold after I poured it in, or is it because I didn't skim it before I cooled it? Also how do you clean the hardened isomalt from your microwave after you foolishly tryed to reheat it in a plastick container that melted and got the isomalt all over your microwave and counter? icon_redface.gif My microwave and I thank you for any tips!!

Sue

3 replies
knlcox Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:03pm
post #2 of

I've read somewhere to bring the Isomalt to just barely under a boil to reduce air bubbles forming from the boiling and you can use a pin to poke the air out. Definitely tap it to allow the bubbles to rise to the surface. HTH! Try running your microwave a few seconds at a time to soften the Isomalt and then gently pull it off when it's soft enough, or melt it completely and wipe it away with a cloth. I melted Jolly Ranchers once and this happened. I just heated it and pulled it off the side of my microwave.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 10:37pm
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna

Hi! I used for the first time this weekend to make a diamond for a ring, the effect was pretty cool but there were a million tiny bubbles in it. Should I have tapped the mold after I poured it in, or is it because I didn't skim it before I cooled it? Also how do you clean the hardened from your microwave after you foolishly tryed to reheat it in a plastick container that melted and got the all over your microwave and counter? icon_redface.gif My microwave and I thank you for any tips!!

Sue




To reduce bubbles, allow the isomalt to cool down a bit & stop bubbling before pouring it. Pour it from a height, 6-8 inches above the mold. Tapping doesn't do much good.

If it was a silicone mold, they "off-gas" when having very hot things in them, so isomalt will pretty much always bubble. You can hit it with a hot torch and that will take care of the surface bubbles.

To re-heat in the microwave, first of all, you need polycarbonate, silicone, or glass vessels. You should also never add fresh/cold isomalt to warm/hot isomalt & try to reheat that. That equals big trouble.

You can soak pots, etc., to get it out, but I have no idea about the interior of a microwave.--sorry.

Rae

Kahuna Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #4 of

Thanks for the tips, it was a silicone mold and believe me I will NEVER try to reheat it in a plastic container what a freakin mess. I kind of chisled it off of the counter but even with heating the microwave it's not comming off. Oh well I think it is one of the first microwaves ever made, you could nuke a turkey in the thing, I've always wanted one that goes over the stove, maybe this will be my escuse to get one icon_wink.gif Thanks again!

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%