Trex In Buttercream... Help

Baking By dodge666 Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 7:52am by amaryllis756

dodge666 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodge666 Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 9

I understand that Trex can be used in buttercream, please can somebody throw some light on the recipe for me. Ive just made marshmallow butter cream and it was to hard, then I melted it down in the micro for a few seconds, My cakes were a right mess as it all slipped off. Never again.

I want a buttercream that is stiff and will hold its shape on the cupcakes, one thats easy to pipe but wont slip off!!!

I'm making cakes for the church to raise money and I dont want to leave them down with messy toppings. Im not a pro at this cake stuff.

Thanks for your time .. kim

8 replies
amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 9:44am
post #2 of 9

I don't know what Trex is, but I use swiss meringue buttercream, but it might be too hot in Texas to that frosting, it does melt, especially in the sun.

Joanna1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna1 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 8:08am
post #3 of 9

Trex is the UK version to Crisco. You can use an a buttercream which is all-trex or you can go half and half with butter and trex. The all-trex version will hold better especially in the heat as it will give you a nice crust. You can use Indydebi's buttercream which seems to get great reviewshttp://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 9:52am
post #4 of 9

ive tried the trex buttercream and i really dislike that greasey feeling it leaves in the mouth, so i stick with butter icon_smile.gif my recipe is simple, four ounces butter (unsalted), 12 ounces icing sugar, add water as nessicary to thin it and a teaspoon of good vanilla, i double and triple my recipe depending on how much i need, its rather thick and holds it shape really well icon_smile.gif i used it for the first time last weekend piping swirls onto cupcakes it held up beautifully icon_smile.gif

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 10:42am
post #5 of 9

I use it to make my cream cheese frosting and my chocolate frosting.

I use half trex and half cream cheese then add twice as much icing sugar(eg 50g trex/50g cream cheese, 200g icing sugar and a couple of tablespoons of milk or cream)

I use that basic recipe and then add vanilla or raspberry jam to change the flavour.

Same for the chocolate, swap some of the icing sugar for cocoa powder and I sometimes add a spoon of nutella.

It always holds up really well and has a crust to it.

zetasilver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zetasilver Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 11:42am
post #6 of 9

I also use it in my cream cheese frosting. I like how it keeps the frosting lovely and white, and crusts really well. Great for swirls on cupcakes and carrot/banana cake. Very much the same as Davwattie's recipe.
For 24 cupcakes I use 200g cream cheese, 100g trex, 600g icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla. For lemon or orange flavour a add the grated zest of 1 orange or lemon. For chocolate I melt 200g plain chocolate in 200ml single cream, allow to cool then pour into a half quantity of frosing. ( if its a little to soft, chill before using)
This gives enough frosting for a nice big swirl on each cupcake.

Joanna1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanna1 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 9
LouLou79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouLou79 Posted 3 Oct 2011 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 9

I have always used indydebi's buttercream recipe using trex instead of crisco and birds dream topping ( i am in the uk) so heat not a problem lol but its always a massive hit and holds a great shape.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 7:52am
post #9 of 9

Glad to know what Trex is. Now I am not so confused! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%