Help With Modeling Gumpaste

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 1 Oct 2011 , 1:35am by gidgetdoescakes

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 1:25am
post #1 of 7

I need help, please! I'm so frustrated! When I try to work with gum paste or a fondant/gumpaste mixture, I can't roll it into a smooth ball. I knead it to soften or to work in coloring, then when I try to roll it into a ball or sausage for making figurines, it has creases and parts of it won't stick to itself, so I can never get a smooth ball. What am I doing wrong? I've watched tutorials and done everything I can think of, but it still won't work. I'm using Wilton products. Please, someone help!

6 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 1:43am
post #2 of 7

It's one of the reasons I now prefer to work with modeling chocolate for molding or figures. Just keep rolling it in your hand and eventually the creases will go away,

irishnonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishnonna Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 7

I was having the same problem until I started kneading the gumpaste for a longer time before starting to work with it. Sometimes putting it in the microwave for a few seconds before kneading also helps.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #4 of 7

I like to use a little modeling chocolate in with my fondant its so much nicer and forgiving to use. I know that a wee touch of crisco and warm hands are suppose to do the trick, but my hands must not get warm enough lol....so try mixing a little mod choc into whatever your working with and see if that helps icon_smile.gif

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 7

I have the same problem. I don't think I've ever rolled out a ball without cracks. Very frustrating!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 3:30am
post #6 of 7

Thank you for all the answers. At least I know I'm not the only one having this problem! For those who suggested modeling chocolate, I assume you mean white modeling chocolate so it can be colored. Also, I didn't realize you could combine chocolate with fondant! I never would have thought of that.

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:35am
post #7 of 7

I like to make red mod choc and then its already red hehe and mix it about a third that and the rest fondant and it colors it red....easy peazy.....I try and use colored chocolate wafers when I can, otherwise yep you can color it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%