Getting Nervous About My 1St Fondant Covered Wedding Cake

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 12:24pm by specialtycakesbysara

specialtycakesbysara Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 10

I normally don't make cakes that are covered in fondant and I have my first fondant wedding cake due on Saturday. I am starting to get a little nervous. Can anyone give me anymore pointers, tips, etc?? I read not to put a lot of buttercream on the cake (underneath the fondant) is that correct?? Also, how thick should I roll the fondant out to be?? I am worried about it sagging, etc. The bride doesn't want ganache, she wants buttercream. I read that I should let the cake settle, but that putting it in the freezer/fridge can cause problems....What procedure do you guys do to get a smooth looking fondant covered cake...this is going to be a 4 tier stacked cake.

9 replies
sweetie78 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 10

Using a SMBC or IMBC will help give you clean edges if she doesn't want ganache. I always put my iced cakes in the fridge/freezer before covering with fondant. It would help to know what type of fondant you're using as well. Typically 1/4-1/8 in. when rolling out. I use the mat. It takes a little longer, but it's so much easier to pick up and cover larger cakes. You can get a substantial layer of buttercream under the fondant without it sagging. Just make sure to chill your cakes. To help settle the cakes, put a cake pan on top of a torted/filled cake and put a heavy object (can of beans, etc) inside and let sit. This will help get rid of bulges under the fondant. Then smooth and crumb coat.

Chillyjilly714 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:23am
post #3 of 10

You are brave to do a fondant covered 4 tier wedding cake as your first....ive made a bunch of fondant ones and it takes a while to pics when its done....are you making the fondant urself? Because it can be tempermental at times....let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

usmdesigner Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 10
Originally Posted by Chillyjilly714

You are brave to do a fondant covered 4 tier wedding cake as your first...

Unless you were meaning that you do fondant cakes, you've just never done a wedding cake in fondant. icon_smile.gif

I don't do many cakes at all, but I am no where near ready for a wedding cake right now.. lol.

Good luck, hope it turns out awesome for you.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 10

Sweetie78 - thank you so much!! icon_smile.gif

specialtycakesbysara Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 10

Yay...the cake is done. Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my questions and help me out!!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 10

beautiful! Great job! icon_smile.gif

Dani1081 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:46am
post #8 of 10

Very sweet cake! You did a great job and now. . . on to the next! YAY!!!

ajwonka Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #9 of 10

Great job! So happy for you!

specialtycakesbysara Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone!! I learned a lot from this cake. I know what to do (and not do) on the next one. I don't fear fondant anymore. LOL!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%