Getting Nervous About My 1St Fondant Covered Wedding Cake

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 2 Oct 2011 , 12:24pm by specialtycakesbysara

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 10

I normally don't make cakes that are covered in fondant and I have my first fondant wedding cake due on Saturday. I am starting to get a little nervous. Can anyone give me anymore pointers, tips, etc?? I read not to put a lot of buttercream on the cake (underneath the fondant) is that correct?? Also, how thick should I roll the fondant out to be?? I am worried about it sagging, etc. The bride doesn't want ganache, she wants buttercream. I read that I should let the cake settle, but that putting it in the freezer/fridge can cause problems....What procedure do you guys do to get a smooth looking fondant covered cake...this is going to be a 4 tier stacked cake.

9 replies
sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 10

Using a SMBC or IMBC will help give you clean edges if she doesn't want ganache. I always put my iced cakes in the fridge/freezer before covering with fondant. It would help to know what type of fondant you're using as well. Typically 1/4-1/8 in. when rolling out. I use the mat. It takes a little longer, but it's so much easier to pick up and cover larger cakes. You can get a substantial layer of buttercream under the fondant without it sagging. Just make sure to chill your cakes. To help settle the cakes, put a cake pan on top of a torted/filled cake and put a heavy object (can of beans, etc) inside and let sit. This will help get rid of bulges under the fondant. Then smooth and crumb coat.

Chillyjilly714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chillyjilly714 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:23am
post #3 of 10

You are brave to do a fondant covered 4 tier wedding cake as your first....ive made a bunch of fondant ones and it takes a while to master...post pics when its done....are you making the fondant urself? Because it can be tempermental at times....let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyjilly714

You are brave to do a fondant covered 4 tier wedding cake as your first...

+1

Unless you were meaning that you do fondant cakes, you've just never done a wedding cake in fondant. icon_smile.gif

I don't do many cakes at all, but I am no where near ready for a wedding cake right now.. lol.

Good luck, hope it turns out awesome for you.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 10

Sweetie78 - thank you so much!! icon_smile.gif

specialtycakesbysara Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 10

Yay...the cake is done. Thanks to those of you who took the time to answer my questions and help me out!!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2169489

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #7 of 10

beautiful! Great job! icon_smile.gif

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 2:46am
post #8 of 10

Very sweet cake! You did a great job and now. . . on to the next! YAY!!!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #9 of 10

Great job! So happy for you!

specialtycakesbysara Posted 2 Oct 2011 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone!! I learned a lot from this cake. I know what to do (and not do) on the next one. I don't fear fondant anymore. LOL!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%