Stencil On A Fondant Cake Question

Decorating By sarge1 Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 7:19pm by Marianna46

sarge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarge1 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 8

So I watched the tutorial on using royal icing to stencil on a fondant cake. For those of you who have done this, doesn't the royal icing crack all over the place once you cut into the fondant/cake?
I don't have an airbrush, so that isn't an option for stenciling.
Could I use food color and stencil just as I would on a wall, with a paintbrush?
Thanks for any help.

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, the RI will tend to crumble when you slice through it. I've done stencils with the Wilton colors that come in spray cans and they look really good. The trouble with stenciling with a paintbrush is that it takes longer and it's hard to keep the stencil absolutely still the whole time, so I'd suggest you not do it that way. To me, even stencilling with RI is a two-person job - one to hold down the stencil and one to put the icing on.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 8

I took an airbrush class and the question popped up of how to keep the stencil on the cake without holding it. It was mentioned to use a gentle painters tape. I wondered about it being food safe but the teacher said that it was fine.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for that tip, SweetSouthernBakery. I'll try to find some.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 8

@sarge1, I have used powdered food colors plus lemon extract, undiluted airbrush color, luster dust, buttercream and royal icing when stencilling.

For powdered food color plus lemon extract/undiluted airbrush color (no airbrush required) be careful, as the color will sometimes sneak under your stencil, making it look a little fuzzy.

Luster dust stencilling is quite easy to do. Lots of videos on youtube for technique.

RI and SMBC are easiest to stencil with for me. Yes, the RI will crumble a bit when cutting, but I haven't had a customer who cared about this yet.

Good luck!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 8

It does crack a bit , but only if it is done very thickly. I find if it is not too thick it doesn't crack anymore than than royalicing piping work.

To hold the stencils on to fondant , use masking tape , it is non toxic and comes off the fondant without leaving a mark. You can also use it to block out bits of the stencil you don't want as well.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:59am
post #7 of 8

A very small dab of Crisco on each corner of the stencil also works well for holding it in place.

Marianna46 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the tips, Chellescakes and cherrycakes! I've been dying to do more stencilling, but just didn't have the knowhow. Maybe I can now, between the painters tape, the masking tape and the Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%