Can I Cancel It?

Decorating By Karsn Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 8:14am by mrsright41401

Karsn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karsn Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:23am
post #1 of 8

I am supposed to make a cake for a baptism on next sunday. But now I am feeling ill and not good at all! I feel like I have to call her and tell that I cant do it. I dont want to be making cakes when Im sick.
But Im nervous that she will get mad at me.

Is it okay to cancel 4 days before the event? Or will I seem like a (can't find the right word.)

7 replies
LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:46am
post #2 of 8

Yes it would be bad to cancel at this point.

What you could do is call her and explain that you are sick. You could tell her that the last thing you would want to do is get her and her guests sick. You could let her know that if she was ok with you still making the cake knowing this that you would be happy to do so, but if she wanted to be cautious and not risk spreading the cold to her guests that you would understand if she wanted to cancel the order (with a full refund of course). (You could cough quite a bit during the conversation and perhaps blow your nose once). I would emphasize that you would make sure to wash your hands really well and be as cautious as possible, but that you just wanted to make her aware of the situation. If she still wanted to have the cake made, I would say suck it up and make it or risk your reputation suffering. icon_redface.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 8

If you cancel, you need to find another baker to take the order. You do not leave a customer "high and dry."

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 8

If you do still make the cake, be sure to wear a mask and sanitize your hands thoroughly & often. Of course, if you have the flu or a stomach virus you need to just tell her that, I'm sure though she'd be disappointed she wouldn't want you anywhere near her food. Hope you feel better soon.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 8

I had to make a baby shower cake when I was sick once. I wore gloves, a mask and looked like I was operating! I had no choice. But I got through it and no one else got ill. It was for my daughter who was throwing the shower so she knew the situation. Oh! and if I had to sneeze I literally ran out of the room to do it. Better safe than sorry...even with a mask.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsn

Is it okay to cancel 4 days before the event? Or will I seem like a (can't find the right word.)

I think it is best to put your self in her shoes. How would you feel if someone you have paid to do a service for you calls you 4 days before the event to say I'm sorry I can't do it? You probably wouldn't be a happy camper.

If you do have to cancel I would do as Leah suggests and have someone else as a back up she can get the cake from.

Other wise I would suck it up and do the cake. You have plenty of time to do it, and still get rest if you start on it today.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 8

I feel your pain. I have to have a mastectomy next Monday. So as soon as I found out this past Friday, I called all of my customers (many long time and repeat) for whom I was slated to make cakes for the next three weeks, explained the situation, issued full refunds and gave them two references from the ladies in my local cake club. Luckily, I have very understanding customers and they were mainly birthday cakes. If you have some local caking friends, I would call them, explain your situation and see if they can back you up. Customers appreciate references.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 8:14am
post #8 of 8

@April: I wish you good health and a fast recovery. My prayers will be heading your way. <3

As for making a cake sick, the previous posters have all posted really good information and it is what I'd do. I hope you feel better quickly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%