??? About Isomalt

Sugar Work By auntginn Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 3:20pm by TexasSugar

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 3

For those of you who are using isomalt, I have a question or 2 hoping someone will know.

I purchased the Isomalt sticks, the pkg says they are unsweetened. Can I add sugar to sweeten them. Want to try and use them for lollipops. Or are they just to be used purely for decorative purposes??

Thank you for any help.

2 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 4:22am
post #2 of 3

Isomalt is one of those sugars that can give a tummy ache if eaten in large quantities, you may be better off with regular sugar. I only use it for decoration. hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 3

Isomalt is used as a sugar sub in sugar free candy, and as said above can cause tummy issues. I would look up a lollipop recipe to use for them rather than the isomalt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomalt

"However, like most sugar alcohols (with the exception of erythritol), it carries a risk of gastric distress, including flatulence and diarrhoea, when consumed in large quantities. Therefore, isomalt is advised to not be consumed in quantities larger than about 50 g per day for adults and 25 g for children. Isomalt may prove upsetting to the stomach because the body treats it as a dietary fiber instead of as a simple carbohydrate. Therefore, like most fibers, it can increase bowel movements, passing through the bowel in virtually undigested form."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%