Icing To Best Seal In Cake Moisture?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm by BlakesCakes

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:06am
post #1 of 3

My sister wants me to make a cake for her son's birthday BUT he lives 9 hrs away. My parents will drive the cake out but it'll be 8 days before the party. How should I cover the cake to best seal in the moisture? Ice in BC & have her keep frozen until day before party? Fondant - but then couldn't be refrigerated due to condensation? Ganache - refrigerate or freeze until party? Normally I'd never make a cake more than 2 days before delivery but . . . anything for family, right?! Thanks!

2 replies
brittneykt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittneykt Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 3

I would definitely say that right after your cake is baked and cooled, throw your crumb coat on and your final layer of buttercream after your crumbcoat is cooled. You should probably keep the cake as cool as possible in the car because the buttercream (obviously) will melt, and it's a dairy product, as well as keep it in an air tight container if the size of the cake allows that. So as soon as your parents get there, just tell them to put it in the freezer. I think that will probably keep as much moisture in as possible. At any point though, DON'T put it in the fridge, that will dry the cake out. I hope that helps, and good luck!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 3

Make & decorate the cake as you normally would. Box it for the car trip.

Once it gets to the destination, wrap the box 2X in saran wrap & then in foil, keeping it flat & level while wrapping. Place in freezer.

Day before party, place fully wrapped, boxed cake in refrigerator.

Several hours before display & serving, place fully wrapped & boxed cake on counter so that cake can come to room temp without exposure to room air.

Remove wrappings & box for display & serving. No condensation, no bleeding.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%