Questions For Gumpaste Rose Experts

Decorating By eringm Updated 26 Sep 2011 , 1:44am by eringm

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 4

In your opinion which technique makes the most realistic gumpaste rose? Using a single petal cutter and putting them on one at a time, or the five petal cutter and folding them up one at a time. Also which technique would be easier for my first time making them?

Thanks icon_smile.gif
Erin

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 4

I first learned using single petals. Glenda Galvez (auntglendascakes.com) from Texas has a great dvd on her beautiful roses(using single petals) . I then learned with the 5 petal. Once you learn, either way , you can make them realistic, using chocolate, g/p and fondant. Being a beginner, now, i would use the 5 petal. here is wonderful link. Then check out the dvd of Glenda Galvez. There are 2 videos on this. It is great.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:48am
post #3 of 4

I do both. I spent about a year using different techniques and was never happy with my results, so I combined several methods to use what works for me.

For the center and the first 2 layers of petals, I use the 5-petal cutter. For the 3rd layer and anymore, I use teardrop shaped cutters for the individual petals and apply them one at a time. I get the look that I want and using the 5-petal is so easy and quick for the first 2 layers of petals.

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 1:44am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%