I Need A Few Ideas

Decorating By ANGELAKAY264 Updated 23 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm by DanaG21

ANGELAKAY264 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a lua themed cake for this weekend and had a few concerns. I'm unsure of how to do palm trees so they will stand and also tiki torches. I've attached a picture of the cake that has inspired them. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I did pm the owner of the picture, but no response yet. Thanks!

5 replies
DanaG21 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 6

You could just use a thin bamboo skewer for the tiki torches and cover in fondant. You can make a fondant snake and insert the skewer up the middle. For a palm tree I did I've also used a pretzel rod. That gave my leaves something to stick into, something for the fondant to stick on and some to stabalize so it didn't sag.

Good luck

nat969 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

A couple of ideas:
1. For tree trunk - dowels covered w/modeling chocolate OR pirouette cookies covered with royal icing.
2. Leaves - gumpaste (must make ahead so they dry).

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

nat969 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 6

I forgot to add that I put a bamboo skewer inside the pirouette. Makes it easier to add the royal icing and/or fondant and to be more stable in cake. Happy decorating! God Bless!

ANGELAKAY264 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 6

wow thanks! lovely cake!!! so there are pretzel rods in those?

DanaG21 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 6

Yep, I just cut out round circles and covered it and then stuck my wired leaves into the pretzel rod. Be prepared for breakage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%