Carpet Tape, Sps And Cake Cutting

Decorating By SweetTater Updated 24 Sep 2011 , 2:37am by leah_s

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 4:55am
post #1 of 6

For those of you who use SPS with the carpet tape to attach the cakeboard to the plastic tape...is it hard to remove the cake w/cakeboard from the plastic plate for serving/cutting?

I've just started using SPS. The first cake I just used BC on the plastic plate. But the next cake is a larger wedding cake and I was considering using carpet tape. But I'm wondering how hard it will be to disassemble and cut.

TIA!

5 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 6

I would say that you don't remove the cardboard from the plastic plate to serve. The whole plastic plate with the board and cake can be removed together if the cake is going to be separated to serve.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

Maybe I'm tempting fate but I've done up to 4 tiers, up to 14in on SPS ( refuse to stack with anything else!) and have never taped the cake board to the support plate. I don't see that it's necessary. PM Leah to ask her. She's the SPS guru!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #4 of 6

SweetTater: I am very curious about the carpet tape thing you are talking about? My kid's father lays carpet and laid many a yard making seams with carpet tape, but it was nothing that you could use with cake decorating. the stuff that he used was to make seams in the carpet and you had to use a real hot iron on the back side of the tape to melt it . It was essentially the same idea as the mending tape that you use to iron patches on a piece of clothing, just much heavier duty. So I have no clue what kind of carpet tape is out there now that you can use in cake decorating? Just interested. I have learned from Susan Carberry to buy double sided tape(about 3/8" thick) to put between cake boards and the platter. It works wonderfully. I am so glad to have learned about it.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:35am
post #5 of 6

I've never used tape with SPS nor have I ever seen the need for it. I usually remove the top 6" tier cake by sliding a wide bench scraper under the cake board. I use Tuff boards which are much stronger then the usual cardboard ones. That tier is usually set aside for the anniversary cake (the bride's idea, not mine)

I then lift off the 6" plate along with the posts. I've always found the posts so firmly imbedded into the plate that I can't imagine trying to wrestle them loose on site.

I then cut the next tier in situ and when that's finihed, I remove that plate and posts. I keep going until I get to the bottom tier. The wedding cake is usally on a table covered with a floor length cloth and in advance I put a plastic bin hidden under the cloth. It is into that bin that I discreetly place the plates and tier and empty boards.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:37am
post #6 of 6

I don't think you need the tape at all. Just a smear of bc on the plate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%