Tips For This Flat Football Helmet Cake!

Decorating By PeanutButterQueen Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 12:58am by jules5000

PeanutButterQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeanutButterQueen Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi folks. I am a cupcake decorator and don't have too much experience with cakes. That being said, I've been asked to do a helmet cake like this
http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11383273

Any ideas you can think of how I should go about decorating it? I also wonder if I should try to cut the cake in half to do a filling? I don't think it's really thick enough to do that.

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 5

You can torte the cake but it would be easier to bake two layers. If you want to torte a single two inch layer I would take a ruler and mark one inch up on the sides all the way around. I either use my Wilton cake leveler or a long piece of dental floss and pull it through the areas that I marked. Slide a cake board between the layers to remove the top. After you add your frosting dam and filling slide your cake back into place.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #3 of 5

I just made one using the Wilton helmet pan.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2159062

I think you could fill it as long as you torte it evenly as mentioned above. It was a bit of a pain to smooth the buttercream so if you're new to this you might want to try star-tipping the icing.

PeanutButterQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeanutButterQueen Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 5

Thank you guys.
Yeah I think I"ll try using the star tip... seems like it might be easier.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 5

Peanutbutter queen: I clicked that url you gave, but kept getting messages that they couldn't find what I was trying to look for? But stars would be a good idea. It is a lot of work, but if you are patient it will look really good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%